Anthopoulos and Jim Hendry were the top remaining candidates, after a source said the Braves moved away from their top target, Royals senior vice president and general manager Dayton Moore, who would have needed permission from the Royals to become Atlanta's president of baseball operations.
Anthopoulos, 40, served as GM of the Toronto Blue Jays from the 2010 season through the 2015 season.
This news comes after Jon Morosi of MLB Network reported on October 2 former Braves general manager John Coppolella resigned because of a "breach of Major League Baseball rules regarding the worldwide player market".
Alex Anthopoulos will be calling the shots for an Major League Baseball team once again.
The Braves' first choice was believed to be Dayton Moore, a former Atlanta assistant GM who left to become Royals GM and built Kansas City into a two-time American League pennant victor and 2015 World Series champion.
France "bis" : une charnière Trinh-Duc - Lesgourgues face aux Blacks
Maestri (29 ans, 59 sél.) sera le capitaine et formera un attelage relativement expérimenté - comparé au reste de l'équipe - avec le Toulonnais Romain Taofifenua (27 ans, 10 sél.).
If Anthopoulos, was a Plan B, then most around baseball would probably agree it was an impressive fallback for the Braves, especially considering the black eye the organization has absorbed since details of the investigation first began to leak.
His trades for Josh Donaldson, Troy Tulowitzki and David Price provided essential pieces that made the Blue Jays a playoff team again, and he was also lauded for finding a way to trade Vernon Wells' onerous contract and for signing Toronto standouts Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to club-friendly contract extensions. If he is removed from his current role, the Braves would not necessarily have to name somebody president of baseball operations; the GM hired could handle the responsibilities of the role. Anthopoulos is expected to have final say in baseball matters.
The results of the investigation will determine Hart's future.
The Atlanta Braves reportedly have their new general manager.
- Idea Cellular Q2 loss at Rs 1107 cr; flags challenges
- FFXV's Noctis to be playable in Tekken 7 in 2018
- ASEAN, Hong Kong ink free trade agreements
- BharatNet 2: Central government will sign MoUs with the states
- Three US carriers lead naval drill aimed at North Korea
- Syracuse football opens as double-digit road underdog against Louisville
- Philippines' Duterte offers to host summit on human rights
- NGT rebukes Delhi Govt for not filing review petition on Odd-Even
- IShares Currency Hedged MSCI Japan (HEWJ) Declines 0.6% for Nov 12
- Salman Khan unveils his 'Race 3' look