Heads of state and government of ASEAN's ten members and their dialogue partners gather in the Philippines from November 13 to 14 for the 31st ASEAN Summit.
With glasses raised, they toasted "Mabuhay" on the eve of the 31st Asean Summit in Manila, before tucking into a four-course meal that included snapper in miso broth, Filipino steak sushi with grilled slices of US Black Angus beef tenderloin, and caramel flan.
"In the face of protectionist sentiments across the world, these two agreements are, in fact, a loud and clear vote that all of us here prefer free and open trade", said HKC Commerce and Economic Development Secretary Edward Yau during the signing ceremony held last Sunday at the Marriot Hotel.
A strategic partnership between ASEAN and Hong Kong will "usher in greater trade synergies and more job opportunities for people and businesses and the region", he added. Foreign ministers of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) recently pledged to implement the Boracay Action Agenda, a Philippine-led initiative on MSMEs.
Said Hong Kong's Commerce and Economic Development Secretary Edward Yau: "In the face of protectionist sentiments in other parts of the world, these two agreements are in fact a loud and clear vote from all of us for freer and more open trade". For one, HKC stands as the gateway to mainland China.
Comment Emmanuel Macron va commémorer les attentats du 13-Novembre
Aujourd'hui, ces événements constituent les pires attaques terroristes de l'histoire de France. Des commémorations silencieuses conformément au souhait des familles des victimes.
Philippine Secretary of Trade and Industry Ramon Lopez said the agreements indicated "deeper commitment towards shared prosperity and inclusive growth in the region" and would help the regional bloc and Hong Kong unlock the "tremendous potential of regional economic integration".
Hong Kong's direct investment in ASEAN reached US$9.6 billion a year ago, making up 9.9 per cent of the total FDI in the bloc.
In 2015, Hong Kong was ASEAN's 7th largest trading partner, with total trade worth HK$ 823.3 billion (around P 5.4 trillion).
Asean's economic ministers also met to discuss the progress of the Asean Economic Community, which envisions an integrated regional market by 2025.
- 5-Magnitude Quake Hits Costa Rica's West Coast
- NGT rebukes Delhi Govt for not filing review petition on Odd-Even
- Stabbing Confirmed at Mall of America
- FFXV's Noctis to be playable in Tekken 7 in 2018
- Le Tribunal suprême ordonne la libération sous caution de Forcadell
- South Korea and China will peacefully solve the DPRK issue
- Syracuse football opens as double-digit road underdog against Louisville
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Idea Cellular Q2 loss at Rs 1107 cr; flags challenges
- Surrender firearms during national campaign