Volkswagen is actively considering plans for an electric, rear-wheel-drive successor to today's Beetle as part of a range of zero-emissions models based on its new MEB (Modular Electric Baukasten) platform, according to the German auto maker's chairman, Herbert Diess.
"The next decision on electric cars will be what kind of emotional concepts we need", says Diess.
While nothing is yet to be set in stone for the next Beetle, Diess says that the electric MEB platform is extremely flexible, suiting the needs for any potential "emotional concepts" well.
NatGas Rig Count Flat as Oil Drives Bounce-Back Week for US
Canada also gained, adding eight oil-directed rigs and four gas-directed to exit the week at 203 rigs, versus 176 a year ago. Texas lost a net two drilling rigs, bringing the statewide count to 442.
While a decision still hasn't been made, Diess stated, "If we wanted to do a Beetle, electrically it would be much better than today's model, much closer to history, because it could be rear-wheel drive". "We have a good chance on the electric side".
Rear-wheel drive layout of the ID correspond to the original Beetle hatchback 1939, which used zadnelateralnuu engine.
Despite rumors of its discontinuation earlier this year, a new report suggests that the Volkswagen Beetle may be back for another generation.
While a new, electric Beetle isn't confirmed yet, there's reason to be optimistic for it. Diess was a major champion for the return of the Microbus, so clearly he's into the whole retro EV thing.
- Kyrie Irving monitored for concussion after Aron Baynes elbow to face
- Apple Looks Set to Boost Low-Light iPhone Photography With InVisage Acquisition
- Rodrigo Duterte affirme avoir poignardé quelqu'un à mort
- 'Top Gun,' 'ER' star Anthony Edwards says he was molested as teenager
- Picture: Vidya Balan in PM Modi's tent!
- WSSU Student Stabbed During Altercation On Campus
- Singaporean and Malaysian reporters jailed for flying drone over Myanmar parliament
- Is Corecivic Inc (CXW) a Sell? The Stock Formed Bearish Double Bottom
- Matt Forte (knee) RULED OUT for Week 10
- Barack Obama convoqué au tribunal... pour être juré