While there were no casualties, two coaches of the train were gutted.
Three years back, Mumbaikars welcomed this mode of transport which runs between Chembur and Wadala from morning 5:00 am tonight 12:00 am. "It took one hour to douse the fire", he said.
Service will resume after all trains undergo checks and the tracks and other equipment are declared safe, they said.
A statement issued by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) said the train's motorman noticed smoke coming out from the last coach when the train reached Mysore Colony station, and alerted the fire brigade. "The firefighters extinguished the flames by 6", Kawathkar said. The reason for the fire is not known yet", said a fire official.However, the fire did not cause any injuries or loss of life as the Monorail was being taken from Wadala Monorail Depot to Chembur and it was empty.Dilip Kawathkar, Spokesperson, MMRDA, said, "Exact cause of the fire is not known but it is due to some electrical fault. The committee will be headed by P.S. Baghel, retired Commissioner of Railway Safety, Western Circle.
"The Metropolitan Commissioner has ordered a full check-up of all the monorail trains and an enquiry to find out as to how a fire resistant Monorail train caught fire".
Led Mission in Afghanistan Lacks Troops for New Strategy
The Pentagon has declined to provide a new breakdown on how many are assigned to each. Other NATO officials confirmed there would be a shortfall approaching 10 percent.
And now, the fire is only expected to make the matter worse as the monorail will be shut down for an indefinite period of time.
This isn't the first incident to affect the monorail services.
All monorail trains will undergo checks, he said. Meanwhile, the burning of the two coaches leaves the MMRDA with only three functioning rakes.
"We are investigating the cause of the fire".
"The cause of the fire is under investigation and the Fire Brigade will give recommendations to avoid such incidents in future", said P.S. Rahangdale, chief fire officer, Mumbai Fire Brigade.
- Siemens Warns of `Painful' Power Unit Revamp as Orders Sink
- Philippine c.bank keeps key rate unchanged at 3.0 pct
- EA buys Titanfall dev Respawn Entertainment for as much as $455M
- Not True, Says Income Tax Department On Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah's Charges
- This butcher's celebration of Andy Murray's baby girl will give you nightmares
- BCB won't stop Hathurusingha from quitting
- Jobless Claims Edge Up by 10000 But Unemployment Remains Low
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Mueller Reportedly Interviewed White House Advisor Stephen Miller in Russia Probe
- Apple developing AR headset, could launch it in 2020, report says