Gigaba has informed SARS Commissioner Tom Moyane of this proposed inquiry and he has expressed his support for it as well as the willingness to cooperate. It may also be that the investigation is nothing but a witch-hunt to determine who leaked information and documents to the author Jacques Pauw for his book entitled The President's Keepers.
Gigaba announced in the Medium Term Budget Policy Statement last month that South Africa faces a staggering revenue shortfall of 50.8 billion rand (about 3.63 billion US dollars) for the current financial year.
While the full terms of reference are not yet clear, Gigaba said that tax morality and institutional issues around governance will be core to process.
Duvenage agreed with Saftu's suggestion that Gigaba introduce an independent judicial inquiry into "the other side of the tax problem facing South Africa": the excessive maladministration and corrupt spending of taxpayers' money by government departments and State-owned entities.
A Commission of Inquiry into the tax administration and governance of the South African Revenue Service (SARS) will soon be established.
The President has acceded to the request.
Scripps Selects Fitbit as First Wearable Used in All of Us Program
The program, called All of Us , was established by the Obama White House in 2015. That made Fitbit a natural choice for All of Us researchers.
Gigaba says the inquiry is expected to be constructive and to strengthen the institution further where possible.
Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba says it's important to address concerns raised about the South African Revenue Service (Sars) and whether they are based on truth or not. The inquiry will also help to assess " what steps need to be taken in order to improve performance management systems".
"There could also be other factors such as weakening tax morality".
Gigaba said: "Whatever the reason for such shortfall, the risk of under-collection of revenue impacts directly on the size of the future budget deficits, and hence on the sustainability of the projected debt-to-GDP trend, and directly on our credit rating and growth prospects".
- Universal's "Monsterverse" in Peril as Top Producers Exit
- Mundy Wins Election to Full Term as State Supreme Court Justice
- Four Big 12 QBs Semifinalists for O'Brien Award
- FedEx Express Buys up to 50 new ATR 72-600F Freighters
- Plane's engine bursts into flames as it lands at Seattle airport
- Nawaz attacking state institutions to save his billions: Imran Khan
- Mother admits to killing 4-year-old daughter, hiding body in dumpster
- Rev. Jesse Jackson accused of sexually harassing journalist
- PayPal launches domestic service in India
- Ford signs China EV partnership deal with Zotye