In the 2015 rape case of a nun in Nadia, Kolkata sessions court today convicted a Bangladeshi man for raping the nun in West Bengal's Ranaghat during a dacoity at a convent.
Additional Sessions Judge Kumkum Sinha termed the incident as a matter of shame in a state where Sister Nivedita and Mother Teresa had worked for the people. The quantum of punishment will be declared on Wednesday. Noting that the charge of gangrape was not established, the judge said only Nazrul Islam was found guilty of rape.
On the wee hours of March 13 in 2015, a gang of seven armed miscreants stormed Convent of Jesus and Mary High School in Ranaghat's Don Bosco Para area.
United Kingdom house price growth has hit its highest since January
Monthly home sales also continue to exceed 100,000, despite recording a modest fall of two per cent to 100,850 in September. That's the highest on record and 2.8 per cent higher than where it was in January, Halifax said.
Five accused, including Nazrul Islam, were found guilty of dacoity at the convent.
The accused have been charged with and tried for gangrape, dacoity, attempt to cause death or grievous hurt, voluntarily causing hurt by risky weapons or means and criminal conspiracy. Of the six accused in the dock, the court convicted one of rape and the other five of robbery. A sixth person - Gopal Sarkar was found guilty of harbouring the five criminals at his residence. One accused is absconding. The nun shifted to Delhi after the incident, had sought transfer of the case to Kolkata stating she feared threat to her life as the accused had strong criminal links in Ranaghat.
The prosecution charged all the accused with gangrape, dacoity and criminal conspiracy among others.
- Un chasseur mortellement blessé par un cerf — Oise
- Fmr LLC Sells 18500 Shares of Universal Display Corporation (NASDAQ:OLED)
- IPhone X Camera 'Top Performer' for Still Images: DxOMark
- MP Evans Group PLC (MPE) Earns "Buy" Rating from Peel Hunt
- Allardyce and Shakespeare set to sign with Everton
- Weather Authority: Clearing Skies and Cool Temperatures
- Ant McPartlin's Wife Shuts Down Divorce Rumours With This Romantic Video
- Donald Trump requests additional $4bn for missile defence programmes
- Report finds more people surviving cancer
- Irish rail strike to hit cross-border services