Jerry Higgins with the N.C. Department of Public Safety said in a press release correctional officer Wendy Shannon passed away Monday evening at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in Virginia from injuries suffered during the inmate escape attempt.
Shannon, 49, started her career with the Department of Public Safety at Pasquotank Correction as a correctional officer 4 years ago. "Our deepest condolences go out to the Shannon family during this hard time".
A third prison employee has died from injuries suffered during an attempted prison break.
A third correctional officer injured in the October 12 inmate escape attempt at Pasquotank Correctional Institution has died. The four inmates have all been transferred to other prisons.
Gambling machines set for maximum stake cut
Gambling operators will also be ordered to step up their funding for research, education and treatment. The latest consultation is due to close on 23 January next year.
According to the NCDPS, the prison continues to be on lockdown.
All four have been moved to Central Prison or Polk Correctional Institution in Butner for higher security. Darden and Smith died in the immediate after math of the fire. "Prisons and their employees help keep our communities safe, and I've directed state prison officials to take the necessary steps to improve prison safety", Gov. Roy Cooper said in a statement. It was the deadliest escape attempt in North Carolina prison history.
A report released by the North Carolina Department of Public Safety in 2016 showed 845 inmates were charged with assaulting a corrections officer.
- Analysts Upgrade/Downgrade Activity of General Motors Company (GM)
- Magistrate charged over alleged child sex offences
- Seth MacFarlanes Family Guy alluded to the Kevin Spacey allegations in 2005
- Police probe altercation between White Lives Matter supporters and interracial couple
- Japan's central bank maintains easing policy, lowers inflation outlook
- Apple Designing iPhones, iPads Without Qualcomm Parts, WSJ Says
- The Xiaomi Mi Max 2 Gets A Rs 1000 Price Cut
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Melbourne Cup Field Takes Shape
- Locals urged to participate in National Drug Take Back Week