The suspect, identified as 19-year-old Yamen A., was taken into police custody.
German police on Tuesday arrested a Syrian man suspected of preparing a terror attack using powerful explosives, prosecutors said, nearly one year after a deadly jihadist truck rampage at a Berlin Christmas Market.
Prosecutors said in a statement that the teen is "strongly suspected of having planned an Islamist-motivated attack" that involved "highly explosive" materials.
The Syrian had made a decision "no later than July 2017 to explode a bomb in Germany with the aim of killing and wounding as many people as possible".
A spokesperson for the federal prosecutor's office said the suspect had been in contact with extremists online who described themselves as "soldiers of the caliphate".
Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (BABA) Analysts See $0.84 EPS
Nabriva Therapeutics plc - Ordinary Shares (NASDAQ:NBRV) has risen 15.31% since October 30, 2016 and is uptrending. The stock of Costco Wholesale Corporation (NASDAQ:COST) earned "Buy" rating by Northcoast on Tuesday, June 20.
Mobile phones and batteries found during a search of the suspect's home suggest that the bomb would have been triggered remotely, Kohler said.
According to Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere, security officials had prevented a "major terrorist attack".
Investigators searched the suspect's apartment as well as other apartments in the same building and in Hamburg, which belonged to people who are so far not under suspicion.
The terror threat in Europe remains high following a series of deadly attacks that has hit numerous European cities, such as Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Nice, London, Stockholm, Barcelona, and more recently London, over the past few years.
Twelve people were killed in an Islamist-related attack on a Christmas market in Berlin last December.
- NY shooting - multiple people gunned down in lower Manhattan, cops say
- Ouverture du Sommet extraordinaire de la CEMAC à N'djamena
- Justice League: Henry Cavill Feels DC Made 'Right Mistakes'
- CommVault Systems, Inc. (CVLT) Receives Average Rating of "Buy" from Analysts
- Première défaite pour le PSG — Youth League
- Judge Wolff Investigates MLS Over Potential Austin Deal
- Taking a Look Inside the ERP5 Score For McBride plc (LSE:MCB)
- Chandigarh court holds two uncles guilty of rape of 10-year-old
- Analyst Research Roundup: GoDaddy Inc. (GDDY), Conagra Brands, Inc. (CAG)
- Nokia 2 : le smartphone Android avec deux jours d'autonomie