Demanding the unconditional revocation of 14 girl students who were expelled from the institute, the pupils of Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute (SRFTI) gheraoed its director Debamitra Mitra. Denying the allegations, the SRFTI director had said the authorities had chose to build a separate ladies hostel and upgrade the curriculum and infrastructure of the institute after receiving an approval from the Union information and broadcasting ministry in 2013 in this regard.
On Monday, seven volunteers who had kicked-off the strike late on Saturday, relayed the protest to seven others.
"We have asked the 14 expelled girls to relocate to the new hostel immediately, which shows that we are ready to take back the expulsion order, if they abide by the rules of the institute", she said. "We may go for an indefinite hunger strike, if the authorities are unrelenting", she said.
Director Debamitra Mitra has said unconditional reversal of expulsion is not a possibility and it would set a bad precedent.
"We will not physically prevent anyone from doing their duty", she added.
MotoGP title goes to the wire as Dovi reigns in Malaysia
Honda rider Marquez crashed at the curve before the finish, but recovered soon to race again. We were at the limit with the rear grip.
Expulsion of the girl students allegedly over "hostel segregation" after they refused to vacate the old hostel rooms and shift to a new girls' hostel on the campus, triggered protests among the students fraternity since October 17.
The students alleged that building a separate accommodation for girl students was an act of moral policing.
Mitra argued that the authorities had made a decision to build a separate hostel for girls and upgrade the curriculum, and infrastructure of the institute after securing the approval of the Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry in 2013.
She had said the objective behind shifting the girls to the new hostel was to ensure students' safety.
- The Hong Kong Massacre Debuts, Coming to PS4 in 2018
- Gadkari urges auto manufacturers to ship vehicles via sea route
- Sensex, Nifty Close At Record Highs
- FDA moves to revoke soy health claim
- Duterte Promises to Treat Trump in 'Most Righteous Way' During Manila Meeting
- Benghazi attacks militant captured in raid by special operations forces
- Une BMW Z8 ex-Steve Jobs aux enchères RM Sotheby's
- Scherbak opéré au genou droit
- 'Dancing with the Stars' shocker: Major front-runner forced to exit the show?
- Christie: Expect Trump to ask for 'billions' to fight opioid epidemic