Solicitor General of India Ranjit Kumar on Friday tendered his resignation from the post citing personal reasons. Mr Mukul Rohatgi resigned as attorney-general in June and did not accept a second term in office.
Ranjit Kumar confirmed the resignation of Solicitor General, while his close sources told that it has been given "for personal reasons".
Ranjit Kumar, who was re-engaged as solicitor general for two years in July, told TOI that his family members had health issues, which required long-term treatment. On the talk in SC corridors about his possible appointment as an apex court judge, Kumar said, "There is no truth in these rumours".
Then a senior Supreme Court advocate, Kumar was appointed the Solicitor General (SG) of India in June 2014.
Darden Restaurants, Inc. (DRI) Coverage Initiated at Longbow Research
Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc. raised their price objective on Darden Restaurants in a research report on Monday, June 26th. Bruderman Asset Management LLC lifted its stake in shares of Darden Restaurants by 0.4% during the second quarter.
Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta's name is doing the rounds for the coveted post.
Mr Kumar's resignation reached the Union law ministry on Friday. Among the cases in which he represented the Gujarat government was the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case. Law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad is away in the Bahamas to attend the Commonwealth law ministers conference.
He added he had a wonderful experience as solicitor-general and was very satisfied with the way the government treated him. It is the post of second highest senior legal officer in the country. The constitutional expert also assisted the Supreme Court in deciding the issue of whether a state government can grant pardon to death row convicts in cases probed and prosecuted by Central agencies like the CBI.
Now there are four ASGs, the senior-most being Maninder Singh followed by Tushar Mehta, who handle the bulk of cases on a routine basis in the apex court.
- Which insiders are trading Weatherford International plc (WFT)?
- KeyCorp Brokers Reduce Earnings Estimates for Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc. (CRZO)
- Google parent turns on internet balloons in Puerto Rico
- Ares Commercial Real Estate Corporation (NYSE:ACRE) Valuation According To Analysts
- Technical Study: Following Indicators For Prudential Financial Inflation Retail (PRU)
- Mohammad Hafeez reported for suspect bowling action, again
- Le procès de Michel Gbagbo reporté à une date ultérieure — Côte d'Ivoire
- Argus Boosts Rating On Harley-Davidson, Inc. (HOG)
- Cemac : La Centrafrique supprime les visas d'entrée sur son territoire
- Bipartisan Health Care Deal Is Too Late to Fix Much