Solicitor General of India Ranjit Kumar on Friday tendered his resignation from the post citing personal reasons. Mr Mukul Rohatgi resigned as attorney-general in June and did not accept a second term in office.
Ranjit Kumar confirmed the resignation of Solicitor General, while his close sources told that it has been given "for personal reasons".
Ranjit Kumar, who was re-engaged as solicitor general for two years in July, told TOI that his family members had health issues, which required long-term treatment. On the talk in SC corridors about his possible appointment as an apex court judge, Kumar said, "There is no truth in these rumours".
Then a senior Supreme Court advocate, Kumar was appointed the Solicitor General (SG) of India in June 2014.
Bipartisan Health Care Deal Is Too Late to Fix Much
Schumer told reporters that all 48 Democratic members would vote for the bill and urged McConnell to put the bill on the floor. In fact, Alexander announced that 11 other GOP senators will co-sponsor the legislation. "Every Democrat's voting for it".
Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta's name is doing the rounds for the coveted post.
Mr Kumar's resignation reached the Union law ministry on Friday. Among the cases in which he represented the Gujarat government was the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case. Law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad is away in the Bahamas to attend the Commonwealth law ministers conference.
He added he had a wonderful experience as solicitor-general and was very satisfied with the way the government treated him. It is the post of second highest senior legal officer in the country. The constitutional expert also assisted the Supreme Court in deciding the issue of whether a state government can grant pardon to death row convicts in cases probed and prosecuted by Central agencies like the CBI.
Now there are four ASGs, the senior-most being Maninder Singh followed by Tushar Mehta, who handle the bulk of cases on a routine basis in the apex court.
- Chilean poet Neruda 'didn't die of cancer'
- Which insiders are trading Weatherford International plc (WFT)?
- Handler cut by camel on Aquaman set
- Listeria concerns prompt recall of packaged vegetable products
- Norway's first woman foreign minister elected
- Faris is dating a new man
- Cemac : La Centrafrique supprime les visas d'entrée sur son territoire
- Kings hire second full-time female coach
- Goldman Sachs May Have Just Lost Faith in Nike (NYSE:NKE)
- Analyst Earnings Forecast Scan: NRG Yield, Inc. (NYLD)