Governor Kay Ivey has announced that Alabama's unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in nearly 10 years. Today, Gov. Kay Ivey announced Alabama's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for September 2017 was 3.8 percent, down from 4.2 percent in August.
This is down from August's rate of 4.2%, and well below September 2016's rate of 6.0%.
"We've been working extremely hard over the past six months to bring Alabama's unemployment rate down, and today's news shows that our efforts are paying off", Ivey said.
Cullman County's rate remains among the state's lowest at 2.8 percent, tied with Marshall County for second.
Arctic refuge drilling closer as Senate moves to open site
Mike Enzi (R-WY), chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, to expedite the budget reconciliation process. We applaud these champions and encourage them to continue to fight for the refuge in the coming months.
"When it comes to job creation, we are doing the right thing and momentum is on our side in Alabama", Ivey said in the press release. Auburn's and Opelika's unemployment rates for September were 2.9 percent and 3.0, respectively. "We can't and won't slow down just because we've reached this milestone".
In our area, Pickens County saw the same as statewide unemployment rate, 3.8% in September.
The report counts 2,068,594 people as employed in September, about 11,000 more than the previous month and 23,000 more than a year ago. Counties with the highest unemployment rates are: Wilcox County at 8.9%, Clarke County at 6.7%, and Dallas County at 6.3%. September's rate represents 82,678 unemployed persons, compared to 90,756 in August and 131,201 in September 2016.
Alabama Labor Secretary, Fitzgerald Washington, says employers continue to add positions, and are beating job-growth projections.
- Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. (BBBY) Position Decreased by Nisa Investment Advisors, LLC
- Gold Star widow shares her call with President Trump
- Jefferies Group LLC Reaffirms "Buy" Rating for Range Resources Corporation (RRC)
- Edison International (EIX) Shares Sold by Public Employees Retirement System of Ohio
- Bill Gates announced a massive investment in public education
- US Census Bureau and HUD Report Housing Stats
- Montrusco Bolton Investments Inc. Has $10.24 Million Position in Shopify Inc. (SHOP)
- Sonic Automotive, Inc. (NYSE:SAH) Releases FY17 Earnings Guidance
- Arnold W. Donald Sells 90903 Shares of Carnival Corporation (CCL) Stock
- $0.56 EPS Expected for Alliance Resource Partners, LP (ARLP)