President Donald Trump has selected Joseph J. Simons of Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison LLP to lead the Federal Trade Commission in a bid to fill one of the major gaps in his administration's leadership on antitrust and merger policy, Sen.
The FTC now has only two members - Maureen Ohlhausen, a Republican who has been serving as acting chairman since Trump took office in January, and Democratic commissioner Terrell McSweeny. White House officials also said nominated Noah Phillips and Rohit Chopra as FTC commissioners.
"Simons, if confirmed by the Senate, will immediately jump into some contentious issues, including calls from members of both parties to apply greater scrutiny to the nation's biggest internet companies like Google, Facebook and Amazon", Politico said. The president has always been expected to name a permanent chair and fill the three empty commission seats, two Republican and one Democrat or independent.
PSU Hoops travel to NYC for Big Ten Media Day
Ward finished the 2016-17 season second on the team in scoring with 13.9 points per game and second in rebounding with 6.5 boards. In the last decade, the Big Ten has added Nebraska from the Big 12, Maryland from the ACC and Rutgers from the Big East.
Filling the Democrat seat, if approved, is Chopra, a senior fellow at the Consumer Federation of America and former assistant director at the US government's Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The FTC also filed a lawsuit in 2003 to stop Haagen-Dazs owner Nestle Holdings Inc from buying Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream Inc, which makes also superpremium ice cream.
From 2001 through 2003, Simons served as director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. It also enforces antitrust laws and protects consumers from deceptive advertising.
Noah Phillips, who graduated from Stanford Law School in 2005, is chief counsel for U.S. Senator John Cornyn, a Texas Republican. It is an independent agency that is headed by a chairman and four commissioners.
- Deepika Padukone enraged over goons who destroyed artist's Padmavati rangoli
- Gerrard picks Champions League victor , and it's not Liverpool
- NIA to Probe Murder of RSS Worker in Ludhiana
- Alonso to stay at McLaren after renewing deal with F1 team
- Special assembly on Nov 9, solar report to be tabled
- Fired Louisville basketball coach Pitino sues Adidas
- BFI withdraws Harvey Weinstein's Fellowship honour
- China Announces Its GDP Growth Slowed to 6.8% in Q3 2017
- 7000 newborns die every day, according to new United Nations report
- Actor Vijay's triple treat is not Mersal enough