President Donald Trump has selected Joseph J. Simons of Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison LLP to lead the Federal Trade Commission in a bid to fill one of the major gaps in his administration's leadership on antitrust and merger policy, Sen.
The FTC now has only two members - Maureen Ohlhausen, a Republican who has been serving as acting chairman since Trump took office in January, and Democratic commissioner Terrell McSweeny. White House officials also said nominated Noah Phillips and Rohit Chopra as FTC commissioners.
"Simons, if confirmed by the Senate, will immediately jump into some contentious issues, including calls from members of both parties to apply greater scrutiny to the nation's biggest internet companies like Google, Facebook and Amazon", Politico said. The president has always been expected to name a permanent chair and fill the three empty commission seats, two Republican and one Democrat or independent.
$140 million in tax increases to fill PA's budget
Wolf says it's a fair and "common sense" proposal that will address the structural budget deficit. The Pennsylvania House of Representatives has passed a bill to fund the unfinished state budget.
Filling the Democrat seat, if approved, is Chopra, a senior fellow at the Consumer Federation of America and former assistant director at the US government's Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The FTC also filed a lawsuit in 2003 to stop Haagen-Dazs owner Nestle Holdings Inc from buying Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream Inc, which makes also superpremium ice cream.
From 2001 through 2003, Simons served as director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. It also enforces antitrust laws and protects consumers from deceptive advertising.
Noah Phillips, who graduated from Stanford Law School in 2005, is chief counsel for U.S. Senator John Cornyn, a Texas Republican. It is an independent agency that is headed by a chairman and four commissioners.
- NIA to Probe Murder of RSS Worker in Ludhiana
- Bush takes veiled swipe at Trump
- Army jawans light up border to celebrate Diwali
- Alonso to stay at McLaren after renewing deal with F1 team
- California's favorite Halloween candy? It's changed!
- Actor Vijay's triple treat is not Mersal enough
- Une assistante parlementaire dénonce des comportements sexistes — Parlement européen
- Virginia students drop, cover and hold on during Great ShakeOut
- PSU Hoops travel to NYC for Big Ten Media Day
- 7000 newborns die every day, according to new United Nations report