Boyle says he and his family were completely shut out from the world over the last five years because on the one occasion that he asked for something to read, he was brought a pile full of dished to clean for his captors.
"It didn't enter my mind that he was being serious", Boyle told The Toronto Star, in a wide-ranging interview from Boyle's parents house outside of Toronto.
Joshua Boyle, a Canadian, and his wife Caitlan Coleman, from Pennsylvania, were kidnapped while on a trip in Afghanistan's Wardak province in 2012.
The couple was was held in a series of tiny, underground cells along the Afghanistan-Pakistan with little access to television, radio, or any reading materials. He noted Coleman is in her 30s and they didn't want to waste time.
A man held hostage in Afghanistan with his family for years has said his infant daughter was killed and his wife raped by their captors.
The family took a commercial flight back to Canada.
"He told a reporter on the plane that the "(US State Department's) interests are not my interests".
Chelsea stunned, City in seven heaven
Liverpool , despite being much the better side, were blunt in attack, failing to convert any of their 19 attempts on goal. Not that United's manager Jose Mourinho would entertain the idea of it having been a bit of an anti-climactic affair.
And Coleman's father, Jim Coleman, told "Good Morning America" on Friday: "Taking your pregnant wife to a very risky place, to me, and the kind of person I am, it's unconscionable".
Mr Boyle was previously married to the older sister of former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr.
Boyle responded, saying that he is a "harmless hippie", and that he and Coleman went to Afghanistan for humanitarian reasons.
As for his captors, Boyle told The Star the Haqqani network "are people who have no relationships in life that are not purely mercenary". "We're Irish, haha", he wrote.
Just wait until Boyle hears about the McDonald's sauce thing.
"We're sitting as hostages with a lot of time on our hands".
- Russian Trolls Learned About US Politics By Watching 'House Of Cards'
- Trump Predicts He Will Appoint Four Supreme Court Justices in First Term
- Jacqueline to act in Hindi remake of The Girl On The Train
- La prime de Neymar en cas de Ballon d'Or dévoilée — PSG
- 'Sounds Like Hitler in Berlin:' Macklemore Trashes Trump during Arizona Concert
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Newcastle join race for impressive marksman, could be inspired January signing
- Russia Will Issue National Cryptocurrency 'CryptoRuble'
- Canadian Workers Ratify New Pact with GM
- Sen. Thad Cochran won't return to work Monday