A final decision is expected on December 19.
Even though nearly three-quarters of Canada's total annual exports are made to the USA, things haven't quite been the way they used to be in the past.
The argument that Boeing was harmed by the C Series is "unrealistic, a bit nonsensical", Bastian said on the conference call. As part of Delta's competition between manufacturers to supply it small airliners, Bombardier offered the CS100, while Boeing offered used Brazilian regional jets, not all-new airplanes.
The ongoing spat between Bombardier and Boeing threatened to start a trade war between the US, Canada and the United Kingdom, after the Labour Party referred to the latter as "the king of corporate welfare" after its "egregious hypocrisy" of pursing illegal-subsidies claims against Bombardier had put thousands of jobs in Northern Ireland at risk as a result.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Donald Trump on Wednesday that he would stop his nation's military from purchasing any further aircraft from Chicago based aerospace giant Boeing if the White House insisted on moving forward with its plans to enforce a 300% import tariff on Bombardier aeroplanes into the US.
The tariffs, which consist of 220 percent countervailing duties and 80 percent anti-dumping restrictions, could be reversed by the U.S. International Trade Commission if it concludes that Boeing wasn't injured by Bombardier's jet program. "In our opinion it is very hard for Boeing or any U.S. manufacturer to claim harm with a product that we purchased that [Boeing] did not offer and they don't produce", he said.
Iranian defense minister warns USA against blacklisting revolutionary guards as terror group
The Kremlin also addressed Trump's scheduled speech stating earlier today that "if the U.S. withdraws from the nuclear deal, Iran will also do so".
This could be the start of a "trade war" (as the press is calling it) between the United States and Canada. The airplane is also half produced by USA aerospace companies, including United Technologies which supplies the jet's Pratt & Whitney engines. Trudeau added that he told Trump he would prevent subsequent Canadian government orders from Boeing.
The U.S. Commerce Department ruling has also drawn fire from British Prime Minister Theresa May, who lobbied Trump on behalf of Bombardier and the more than 4,000 people it employs at facilities in Northern Ireland.
"We will not pay those tariffs", he said.
Delta, which has options to buy 50 more of the C Series jets, is the biggest buyer of the plane.
Bombardier CEO Alain Bellemare is counting on the C Series to help fuel an increase of nearly 50 per cent in annual revenue by 2020.
- Mobile puts a cap on high-speed data roaming in Canada, Mexico
- Warning to humanity of 'antibiotics apocalypse'
- Wincanton plc (WIN) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Liberum Capital
- Samsung Electronics CEO resigns, says company is in "unprecedented crisis" ars_ab.settitle(1186199)
- SC to hear Sahara-SEBI case today
- Un tour final entre le Qatari et la Française — Direction de l'UNESCO
- Son amitié secrète avec Jean Rochefort — Mylène Farmer
- La France insoumise porte plainte pour "fraude électorale" — Élection de Valls
- "Groupe parlementaire " Liberté Démocratie " : "L'opposition d'attaque pour une Assemblée de " Renouveau "
- With Luck on mend, Colts get back into AFC South chase