Matthews' response Thursday to a reporter from his verified account was captured by a screen grab. Matthews was not available Thursday after practice before the locker room closed to reporters. He's going to be out of a job that pays millions simply because he won't stand for the anthem.
Last month Matthews, whose father served 23 years in the Marines and whose brother was killed in action while serving in the same branch of the military, was asked about the athlete's role in discussing social issues last month. This was the first Sunday after Trump made his comments.
Roger Goodell's Wife Uses Secret Twitter Account to Defend Her Husband
I have a feeling she'll be back online soon with another account, but with a better strategy for staying in the shadows. Goodell's Twitter account, and it doesn't sound like the league is very concerned.
Earlier this month, the Seattle Seahawks and Titans stayed off the field during the anthem.
The league and NFL Players Association issued a joint statement Wednesday in which it said the two sides will huddle during the upcoming league meetings. "I don't want to take away from what the whole protest is about, which is oppression, police brutality and inequality in this country".
"I'm exhausted of hearing, 'Stick to sports.' It comes down to right and wrong in this world", Rishard Matthews told ESPN in September. "If you see wrong and don't say anything, that's wrong". It's your right to stand or sit down.
- Ethics panel: 'Substantial reason to believe' Collins broke federal law
- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (GT) Earns "Buy" Rating from KeyCorp
- Prince Harry's touching tribute to Diana at star-studded event
- National Basketball Association will broadcast every game in VR this season
- Furniture Row Racing to field one auto in 2018 NASCAR Cup Series
- Yolanda Saldívar habría revelado por qué mató a Selena
- Box adds machine learning to cloud storage with Box Skills
- Pochettino Bemoans 'Unmatchable' Spending Power of Manchester Clubs in Transfer Market
- Melania visits families dealing with addiction; Ivana calls FLOTUS 'family'
- Jodrell Bank selected as United Kingdom candidate for World Heritage site nomination