Among the questions referred to the bench include the question of whether or not any group of people - women in this case - can be prevented from entering a Hindu place of worship according to current laws. The petition was filed by the Indian Young Lawyers Association, challenging the custom of the temple to bar entry of women in the 10-50 age bracket (of menstruating age).
However, women aged between 10 and 50 years are restricted from taking the pilgrimage to Sabarimala temple as they can not maintain purity on account of menstruation. In January 2016, the court had questioned the ban, saying this can not be done under the Constitution.
A Bench of Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra and Justices R. Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan will pronounce the judgment on the reference. Equality is the basis of the religion.
Air quality puts Cal football's Friday matchup under haze of questions
As of Thursday morning, Weather Underground rates the air quality in Berkeley as "unhealthy" at 154 on the air quality index. At AQIs of over 150, all athletes should be closely monitored.
The court raised six questions on the issue to be considered by the Constitution bench.
On November 7 previous year, the Kerala Government has announced in the court the women of all ages are permitted inside the historic Sabarimala temple.
Noting that this is not the first time that the Kerala government has changed its stand, the court asked the state to "unequivocally clarify its position". I am sure the judgement will also be very positive and landmark."Another women right activist Saswati Ghosh also pinned her faith on the apex court's decision". The court had said that "gender discrimination in such a matter is unacceptable". I am hoping that tomorrow also entry of women in Sabarimala would be positive.
Senior counsel K.K. Venugopal appearing for the Travancore Davaswom Board, which manages the Sabarimala temple, had requested the bench to the matter to a constitution bench. It recently held that the practice of divorcing a woman by chanting "talaq, talaq, talaq" was illegal as it violated Muslim women's fundamental rights.
- Packers' Ty Montgomery (ribs) 'felt fine' taking contact in Thursday's practice
- Samuel Girard marque son premier but
- NASA says asteroid passed near Earth
- Launch of Russia's Progress resupply ship rescheduled for October 14
- Pourquoi il pose problème à l'Assemblée nationale — Drapeau européen
- Kindergarten teacher missing after bailing out known felon
- The Settlers of Catan: Sony Developing Movie Adaptation of Board Game
- Chan sisters, Chang cruise into quarters in Hong Kong
- La meilleure eau potable serait à Sherbrooke
- Bambawale appointed as next Indian ambassador to China