Announcing group results for the three months ending September 30, Sky said that it added 160,000 new customers - 90,000 in Germany and Austria, 70,000 in the United Kingdom, flat in Italy - spurred by strong campaigns in all markets around Game of Thrones. EBITDA for the UK & Ireland lifted 11 percent to GBP 582 billion, while Established Business EBITDA went up 15 percent to GBP 606 million excluding investment in two new lines of business, namely Sky Mobile and Sky Espana. "We continue to see good demand for our products and services with 51 percent more new customers joining Sky than a year ago; we surpassed the milestone of 60 million subscription products; and pay-as-you-go sports and entertainment buys grew by 12 percent to 9.6 million".
Sky has hailed its strong start to the year, with the company adding 70,000 new customers in the United Kingdom and Ireland between April and June.
"We've had a strong start to our new financial year with good revenue growth and excellent profit growth as investments we've made come through".
Launch of Russia's Progress resupply ship rescheduled for October 14
It was planned that on Thursday Progress MS-07 will make its first flight to the ISS on a three-hour trip (two passes along the Earth's orbit).
Like-for-like revenues increased 5 percent to GBP 3.3 billion in the quarter, with good growth across all territories despite a decline in the United Kingdom advertising market and pressure on consumer spending across Europe. The original drama Riviera is Sky's highest-rated commission ever and Game of Thrones the most-watched series on Sky. The platform is upping its investment in Sky originals by 25 percent this year. The next generation product will launch in Italy before Christmas and in Germany and Austria in the first few months of 2018.
"Customers have lots to look forward to as we continue to enhance our products and services in all territories", Darroch said.
Sky Q also proved to be very popular in the United Kingdom, with the number of customers taking up the service rising by 23 per cent to 1.6 million. "Looking ahead, despite the uncertainty in the broader consumer environment, we remain on track with our plans and enter the busy Q2 trading period focused on delivering our clear strategy for growth".
- Socceroo forward Tim Cahill investigated by Federation Internationale de Football Association for "sponsored" celebration
- With game in Mexico City still on, Patriots contribute to $200K donation
- England forewarned ahead of Ashes
- Mary-Kate Olsen Makes Rare Red Carpet Appearance With Husband Olivier Sarkozy
- Irishman Bennett wins stage one in Turkey
- Blackhawk Network Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAWK) Expected To Report Earnings On Wednesday
- Robert Kubica test with Williams F1 team successful
- China Biologic's human fibrinogen production cleared by CFDA
- Macalester grad's 'Jeopardy' streak comes to an end
- Twitter restores account of actress Rose McGowan