Meade School District board members unanimously voted this afternoon to forfeit the Sturgis Brown High School homecoming football game against Pine Ridge slated for Friday evening following "racist" remarks painted onto the auto bash vehicle Wednesday.
Spray painted on the auto was the statement "Go back to the rez".
The Meade School Board has cancelled all homecoming festivities.
The slogan said, "Go back to the rez". In a photo showing young people hitting the vehicle with sledge hammers, others are standing around, watching.
"We're going to apologize to every school district in the state, because this not only looks bad for Sturgis Brown High School, this looks bad for South Dakota". Even those at the SDHSAA office in Pierre have taken complaints against the student's actions.
Cypress Head Women's Golf Association supports Breast Cancer Awareness month
More than 30 women came together on Wednesday, Oct. 4 to not only play golf but support Breast Cancer Awareness month. All Sullivan knew was that her then-42-year-old mother had breast cancer, lost her hair and wore a wig.
Wilson says this was not a school sponsored event. However, school officials are still considering whether the game should take place.
"We are a diverse district with many races and backgrounds", the release said, "which is why this situation is so painful". "I believe the photo is recent and I believe there were several current and formal students involved".
The Sturgis Police Department posted a statement about the issue on their Facebook page. "We are appalled and disgusted by the racist comments that appeared on social media", the statement said. Privacy laws prevent the district from identifying the students or the exact punishments. This includes the football game, parade and homecoming dance. The football game between the Scoopers and Pine Ridge Thorpes is in jeopardy of being cancelled. The Rapid City Journal reports that the game has been moved up to 4 pm from 6 pm.
For an updated story, read Friday's Black Hills Pioneer.
- Tyrese Gibson Posts Video Of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson
- IIO deployed to fatal officer-involved shooting in Qualicum Beach
- 'New Mutants': Josh Boone Teases the Arrival of the First Trailer
- Allianz, Shapoorji Pallonji partner to set up $500 mln India fund
- Local chapter reacts to Boy Scouts accepting girls
- Nubia Z17 miniS with 5.2-inch Display, 6GB RAM, Four Cameras announced
- Provident Financial plc (PFG) Rating Reiterated by Numis Securities Ltd
- Life is Strange Before the Storm, l'épisode 2 dévoilé !
- Souleymane Diawara de nouveau devant la justice — Ex-OM
- Microsoft Launcher For Android