Belgium's commemorations for New Zealand's participation in the Battle of Passchendaele will take place at Tyne Cot Cemetery tonight (NZ time).
Today's commemoration marks the centenary of 12 October 1917, a date which became known at the "darkest day" for New Zealand's armed forces.
The Duke met with representatives of the New Zealand Parliament and government at Tyne Cot Cemetery in Flanders, which is run by the War Graves Commission, which has responsibility for the burial space.
The Duke said: "All too often the newsreels speak of "ordinary" men and women".
Taikato says "it's important that we show our respect and honour to them especially today being the darkest day, with our allies at the Third Battle of Ypres". All told, the Battle of Passchendaele would claim close to 2,000 lives - a devastating toll for a country with a population of just over a million. Every death here left a shattered family there.
CM Mamata Banerjee rubbishes media reports on dengue situation, blames labs
The disease had claimed 24 lives since January, she said, rubbishing media reports that said dengue was rampant in the state. However, there were six deaths in the city of causes which were yet to be verified, she added.
At Passchendaele 1860 New Zealand soldiers were wounded and 845 killed. "But while we may never truly understand, we can remember".
There was a ceremonial welcome from the Maori Cultural Group of the New Zealand Defence Force.
The Duke also shared the traditional Maori greeting - a hongi - with Willie Apiata, the first and so far only recipient of the Victoria Cross for New Zealand.
William, who was dressed in a suit and wore a poppy and his medals, laid a wreath in recognition of the sacrifices of the fallen.
- Egypt extends state of emergency for 3 mths starting Friday -official gazette
- White House Lawyers Eager for Mueller to Interview Trump
- Kirstjen Nielsen, White House assistant is selected to run homeland security
- Garou aux commandes des primes de sélection sur France 2 — Destination Eurovision
- Single case of locally transmitted Zika virus confirmed by Florida health department
- Endeavour Silver Corp's (EDR) Buy Rating Reaffirmed at HC Wainwright
- Long term Growth Analysis of Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSCO)
- Greenpeace Activists Launched Fireworks at French Nuclear Power Plant
- Mascherano arrêtera la sélection après le Mondial — Argentine
- AT&T's TV Service Expected to Lose 390K Subscribers