Maria Sharapova has reached the quarter-finals of the Tianjin Open with a 7-5 6-3 defeat of Poland's Magda Linette.
After a 15-month long suspension for violating anti-doping regulations, Sharapova made her comeback to tennis in April at Stuttgart, where she stormed into the semifinals round of the tournament.
The Russian won the opening set after a brief struggle, suffering her only break of serve in the second game of the second set.
Thursday's victory marks the third last-eight showing of the season for the five-time grand-slam victor from Russian Federation, fighting to revive her ranking after serving a 15-month suspension for using an illegal doctor-prescribed medication.
Seniors miss out in private health insurance overhaul
Attracting more young people into private health insurance is critical to keeping the sector sustainable in an ageing population. Labor, however, welcomes the cut to the cost of devices on the protheses list.
Sharapova advances to face Swiss qualifier Stefanie Voegele, who posted a 6-2, 6-3 win over fifth-seeded Yulia Putintseva of Kazakhstan. "I feel like I made a few too many errors on my return game which ultimately led to a hard first set but once I broke her early in that second set, I played a really good aggressive game and I felt like I had the momentum in the second".
Peng Shuai, a victor of singles and doubles titles at this tournament past year, cruised to a 6-2 6-2 win over Wang Xiyu in an all-Chinese second-round encounter.
Third seed and defending champion Peng Shuai coasted into the quarterfinals with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph over fellow Chinese countrywoman Wang Xiyu while American Christina McHale upset sixth-seed Greek Maria Sakkari, 6-0 6-4.
- Vasilyev très clair pour Lemar — Monaco
- C'est signé pour le jeune Toufiqui — PSG
- Crude Stockpiles Drop, Oil Prices Fall
- Dana White Has Spoken With Vince McMahon Amid Conor McGregor Rumours
- IndusInd Bank's Q2 net profit up 25%
- Un nouveau gardien pour le Stade lavallois
- Le nouvel inculpé suspecté d'avoir fourni des explosifs — Attentats de Bruxelles
- Investors Real Estate Trust (IRET) Rating Increased to Hold at BidaskClub
- La villa de Pablo Picasso à Mougins mise aux enchères
- Woman with dementia feared taken by crocodile in Queensland