The US Navy has sacked two senior commanders from a warship that was involved in a fatal crash with an oil tanker near Singapore.
In August, the USS John McCain collided with an oil tanker near Singapore, which resulted in the deaths of 10 USA sailors and injuries of five others.
The ship suffered damage to its side after colliding with the Liberian-flagged Alnic MC in the early hours, but sailed under its own power and arrived at the Changi naval base in Singapore with a large hole torn in its hull. Sanchez, the executive officer, were relieved of their duties and reassigned. At the time, Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin was relieved of his command of the Navy's 7th Fleet in a rare instance of the military firing a high-ranking officer.
Admiral Swift said the collisions involving US Navy ships can not be viewed in isolation and that it was the organisation's goal to find out whether there is a common cause underlying the uptick.
The McCain collision occurred a couple months after the USS Fitzgerald, also a guided-missile destroyer in the 7th Fleet, collided with a container ship near Tokyo, resulting in seven dead sailors. In January, the USS Antietam ran aground near Yokosuka base in Japan, and in May the USS Lake Champlain had a minor collision with a South Korean fishing boat.
Yolanda Saldívar habría revelado por qué mató a Selena
La cantante le exigió unos documentos financieros e instantes después, la mujer le apuntó con el revólver. En una entrevista exclusiva manifestó que ella intentó que el asesinato sea tomado como un asalto.
Cmdr. A. Sanchez was reassigned to Commander, Naval Forces Japan (CNFJ) and Cmdr.
In its statement, the US Seventh Fleet insisted the incident was "preventable".
While the investigation is ongoing, it is evident the collision was preventable, the commanding officer exercised poor judgement, and the executive officer exercised poor leadership of the ship's training program.
Some Navy officials have cited strains from frequent extended deployments, delayed maintenance and almost a decade of budget constraints and reductions in resources devoted to training as factors.
He added: "I have directed an operational pause be taken in all of our fleets around the world".
- Arthur J Gallagher & Co (AJG) Analysts See $0.80 EPS
- Brendan Rodgers says Celtic duo likely to make Bayern Munich trip
- Alibaba to invest $15B on AI, quantum computing research
- National Basketball Association will broadcast every game in VR this season
- Box adds machine learning to cloud storage with Box Skills
- Parents of Missing 3-Year-Old Texas Girl Not Cooperating With Police
- Gov. Baker to pay respects to victims during Las Vegas trip
- Louis Tomlinson Feels Your Pain in Surprise Song 'Just Like You'
- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (GT) Earns "Buy" Rating from KeyCorp
- Samsung Electronics expects record US$12.8b Q3 operating profit