And another 1.1m households have no intention of changing over their old coins, a survey by 3D printing company 3Doodler found. The new 12-sided coin, introduced in March, was specifically created to reduce the number of forgeries.
'If each vehicle had just one hidden pound coin there could be as much as £30 million in cash which will no longer be legal tender after next Sunday.
As many parking machines have not yet converted to the new 12-sided coin there is a good reason why many auto owners will have a still have a stash lying about.
"Venues should ensure that all staff members are aware they should not be accepting the old pound coin after this weekend", said Kate Nichols, chief executive of the Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers.
Kindergarten teacher missing after bailing out known felon
Upon questioning, the acquaintance told police that there was blood covering the inside of Gorospe's vehicle. He was arrested and charged with unlawful flight, resisting arrest, aggravated assault and attempted escape.
The old £1 coin stops being legal tender on October 15 and the Royal mint thinks there may be as many as 500 million still there.
"So our message is: bring your old coins to Iceland and I'm sure you will be amazed at what you can buy for a pound".
The transition to a different shape coin has meant everything from vending machines to parking meters have had to be adapted to take the new coinage - costing businesses thousands.
- Man arrested after couple finds hidden camera in Airbnb rental
- Critiqué pour son HLM parisien, Alexis Corbière s'énerve et se dit "exemplaire"
- Lightning's Steven Stamkos scores first goal in almost a year
- With game in Mexico City still on, Patriots contribute to $200K donation
- FDA To Advise New NIH/Biopharmaceutical Partnership On Immunotherapy
- Irishman Bennett wins stage one in Turkey
- Air quality puts Cal football's Friday matchup under haze of questions
- Family "Heartbroken" After Woman Found Dead In Belfast
- Reliance Capital-Nippon AMC IPO to raise Rs 1500 cr
- Samuel Girard marque son premier but