12, to ban the sale of bump stocks and trigger cranks, attachments that increase the firing rate of a weapon. The move aims to prohibit bump stocks and trigger cranks while toning down more sweeping language in the House measure, which meant to ban any device able to increase the rate of fire on semi-automatic guns in the Commonwealth. A day earlier the state House voted 151-3 in favor of a bump stock ban.
MA could become the first state to outlaw bump stocks, which is a device that attaches to a semi-automatic rifle to allow continuous gunfire.
The Senate version calls for 18 months to life in prison for the illegal use and possession of bump stocks and so-called "trigger cranks".
Governor Charlie Baker says he supports the bill as it nears full approval.
The devices were found on weapons wielded by the Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock, according to authorities.
Magic Mushrooms May Help Treat Depression
For example, one said he felt like his brain had been "defragged" like a computer hard drive, and another said he felt "rebooted". Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scans showed reduced activity in certain parts of the brain after taking the drug.
"There is no legitimate objective for the use, sale, and possession of these devices or than to cause as much damage as possible", Rosenberg added. Law enforcement officers and licensed gun collectors are exempted from the ban.
Those who violate the measure would face between three and 20 years in prison.
Democratic House Speaker Robert DeLeo defended the decision to vote on the bill without holding public hearings first, saying the state has a long history of taking action to prevent gun violence.
"I think it was an oversight on our behalf, and it's most important that.we take it up immediately and that we again show that MA is the number one state in the country when it comes to battling gun violence", DeLeo said.
The executive director of the Gun Owners Action League of Massachusetts, Jim Wallace, has faulted lawmakers for rushing to ban the devices, calling it premature. "The investigation hasn't been finished".
- Pourquoi le Taj Mahal a été retiré des guides touristiques — Inde
- Trudeau warns Trump over potential fallout from Bombardier spat
- Social Security benefits are getting another boost in 2018
- Lady Gaga annonce sa nouvelle date de concert à Montréal
- Warning to humanity of 'antibiotics apocalypse'
- Epic gets legal with Fortnite cheaters
- NeNe Leakes Booted From XScape's Reunion Tour After Rape Comment
- Lunch is on Newcastle duo after training-ground bust-up
- La France insoumise porte plainte pour "fraude électorale" — Élection de Valls
- Tony Yoka / Jonathan Rice