The Indians had a 2-0 series lead and lost three straight potential clinchers to NY, which also won the winner-take-all AL wild-card game.
After going down two games to none to start their ALDS journey, the New York Yankees pulled off a remarkable three-game about-face against a Cleveland team afflicted by melted-down pitching.
As if that were not enough, NY has some intangibles in play as it goes into the series with Houston.
Making the Yankees' come-from-behind series win even more improbable is that they got nearly zero production from their two sluggers, Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez.
The fulcrum in the series with Cleveland was the stellar starting pitching by the Yankees' Masahiro Tanaka and Luis Severino, and they likely will go in Games 2 and 3 after Sonny Gray starts Game 1.
After an 8-4 Wild Card game win for the Yankees, they now find themselves down two games to the Cleveland Indians in their division series matchup.
Italie : deux détenus profitent d'un repas avec le pape pour s'évader
En effet, le chef de l'Église catholique est sensible à la situation des détenus. Depuis, les deux fuyards, originaires de Naples, sont introuvables.
Dallas Keuchel will pitch Game 1 and Verlander Game 2 for the Astros. In his 162.2 innings and 10-12 record this year, Gray put up a 3.54 ERA with 153 Ks. We know who runs "Club Astros".
-David Robertson came out of the bullpen in the fifth to give NY the first 2 2/3 innings of 4 2/3 innings of no-hit relief. NY blew a five-run lead in Game 2, with manager Joe Girardi making mistake after mistake.
In Keuchel's lone postseason appearance this year, he went 5.2 innings with three hits and one earned run for a victory in Game 2. He finished the series 8-for-15 with four walks. Gardner had three hits, a run and a key RBI in the ninth on Wednesday in Game 5, but Judge came up empty 0-for-5 with four Ks.
The Houston Astros have already won blow-outs and close contests so far in the 2017 postseason. This year, nine of those teams didn't make the playoffs. After losing the first two games at Minute Maid Park by 8-2 scores, Boston's offense came alive with home runs by rookie third baseman Rafael Devers and outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. But the lineup of the Astros is a minefield to navigate through and it's hard to see them being slowed down for an entire series as Boston found out very quickly.
But there is something about the Yankees, a wild-card team that has shown tremendous resilience. Meanwhile, the Astros had to work through their city literally being rebuilt in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, carrying the weight of expectations for a 101-win team out to provide hope.
- Cancer survivor Christina Applegate had ovaries, Fallopian tubes removed
- Tyson Fury to return in April 2018 before 'summer mega-fight'
- Crime spree ends with shooting, carjackings in Sherwood Park, Edmonton
- Joe Biden unveils anti-child abuse partnership in Warminster
- CM Mamata Banerjee rubbishes media reports on dengue situation, blames labs
- Snyder stands by Flint water crisis testimony
- Featurette on Jason Momoa's Aquaman in Justice League
- Yellowstone supervolcano could blow faster than thought, destroy all of mankind
- The ESRB does not consider loot boxes to be gambling
- Garou aux commandes des primes de sélection sur France 2 — Destination Eurovision