Trading in the third quarter has been "disappointing", GKN said, due to a significant reduction in margin caused by on-going pricing pressure and continuing operational challenges. Analysts had forecast profits of £765 million for 2017, up from £678 million, and shares in the company fell as much as 8 per cent in early trading.
The company also said on Friday it was aware of two external claims, one in aerospace and one in driveline, that were expected to result in a 40 million pound ($53 million) charge in the fourth quarter.
Redditch-headquartered engineering giant GKN has said that its full-year profits will only be "slightly above" the levels in 2016 after its USA aerospace arm faced difficulties and two costly legal claims.
Despite a decline in United States automotive production rates, the Powder Metallurgy division saw organic sales growth in the third quarter, benefiting from currency translations and acquisitions in China and Turkey.
Yellowstone's Supervolcano Could Spew Ash Across the Entire US
While there will be devastating consequences if the supervolcano were to erupt, researchers claim there is no reason to worry yet. Meaning, the conditions that lead to supereruptions could happen within a human lifetime, according to the New York Times .
Nigel Stein, chief executive, said: "GKN continues to grow well against its end markets although recent margin performance has not met our expectations".
"In light of the trading performance in North American Aerospace, we are redoubling our efforts to improve our operational performance in that business, as well as developing actions to accelerate margin improvement plans across the group, including through the broader adoption of Industry 4.0".
He added: "With our excellent market positions and leading-edge technologies, I am confident that the Group is in a strong position and has a bright future".
GKN will publish its full-year results on February 27.
- European Council building in poison alert
- Turkey Interested In Russian S-500 Missile: President Erdogan
- Satanic Symbols Sprayed on Church, Pictures Released of Suspects
- La soirée DSK des étudiants kiné annulée — Rouen
- Co-founders of Riot Games Step Down to Focus on New Projects
- Palestinian rivals start reconciliation talks in Cairo
- National Football League monitoring Oakland air quality, but game remains unchanged for now
- GTA Online's Transform Races Coming in Update Next Week
- Nouvelle Aston Martin D11 Volante
- Bitcoin reaches new high as it approaches $5300