Expelled GJM leader and Chairman of the Board of Administrators (BoA) for Darjeeling Binay Tamang blames party supremo Bimal Gurung for today's violence in the hills and says the people of the region "will not allow Darjeeling to turn into Kashmir".
The GJM claimed one of its activists was also killed in the exchange of fire. The police did not comment on this.
At 5 am, the search party raided the hideout inside the forest, he said, alleging that the police was then fired at by GJM supporters.
Police recovered 6 AK-47 rifles, 19 mm pistol, ammunition, bombs and bomb making material, according to West Bengal ADG Law and Order, Anuj Sharma.
Sharma also said they have received information that Bimal Gurung has links with North-East insurgent groups and Maoists.
Teenager sexually assaulted three times as she walked home
After midnight, another camera picked up the girl walking down Mint Street, followed by another man, suspect 2, on a racing bike. Images released by police show the man wearing a baseball cap backwards, a hooded zip jacket and a plain T-shirt underneath.
"Gurung has procured arms from them", he said.
The hills, after much struggle and suffering had returned to peace just a few days back on 27 Sep and just as the people were trying to be relaxed that finally there is peace, another incident disturbed the people of Darjeeling, forcing them to live under the feeling of fear.
Though Union home minister Rajnath Singh appealed to Gurung to withdraw the indefinite strike in Darjeeling, the Centre must now decide if it wants to involve a "fugitive" in the discussions, said an officer in Kolkata, asking not to be named.
The detained person has admitted that Gurung was holed up at the camp near the Sikkim-West Bengal border for over a month, Chaturvedi added.
Gurung has been in hiding since August after cases under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act were registered against him for his alleged involvement in several bomb blasts in Darjeeling and adjoining areas.
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole's season pass detailed
- Sam Bradford again out at Vikings practice
- Le groupe sans Silva, Kurzawa, Motta, Verratti et Cavani — Dijon / PSG
- Sa première sortie depuis l'annonce de sa troisième grossesse — Kate Middleton
- Epic gets legal with Fortnite cheaters
- Texas Inmates Donate $53000 for Hurricane Harvey Victims
- Quebec to re-open talks with Uber ahead of Saturday deadline
- Tony Yoka / Jonathan Rice
- Armed attack kills at least six soldiers in Egypt's Sinai
- Nabilla a touché le jackpot pour sa dernière série