USA consumers are feeling great about the economy right now.
The numbers: The University of MI said its consumer sentiment index climbed to a 13-year high of 101.1 in October from 95.1 in September, topping the MarketWatch-compiled consensus of 95.
A measure of US consumer sentiment rose swiftly in the first half of October to its highest level since 2004, a positive sign for household spending this fall.
Richard Curtin, chief economist for the University of Michigan's monthly Survey of Consumers, said the rate, which increased more than 6 percent from September, is a reflection by consumers that the economy is performing about as well as can be expected.
Nabilla a touché le jackpot pour sa dernière série
La brune a aussi évoqué les sommes qu'elle touchait pour faire de la publicité pour des produits sur les réseaux sociaux. Nabilla dans " Complément d'enquête ", c'était le 12 octobre 2017.
This "as good as it gets" outlook is supported by a moderation in the expected pace of growth in both personal finances and the overall economy, accompanied by a growing sense that, even with this moderation, it would still mean the continuation of good economic times. This tops the highs this index hit after the election, when both business and consumer sentiment surveys showed broad optimism in the wake of President Donald Trump's election win. Most estimates for 2017 retail holiday sales are falling in the 4.0% to 4.3% range.
"Confidence continues to be supported by the soaring stock market and conditions in the labor market which, looking through the disruption caused by the hurricanes in September, still look very strong", said Andrew Hunter, U.S. economist at Capital Economics, in a note to clients. Although such an outlook is typically recorded in the late phase of an expansion, its occurrence is independent of the ultimate length of an expansion.
Myles Udland is a writer at Yahoo Finance.
- Quebec to re-open talks with Uber ahead of Saturday deadline
- Tony Yoka / Jonathan Rice
- Ontario judge approves Sears Canada liquidation
- Sam Bradford again out at Vikings practice
- Treasury committee threatens FCA in battle over Royal Bank of Scotland report
- Texas Inmates Donate $53000 for Hurricane Harvey Victims
- Google Assistant on phones can finally send videos and music to Chromecast
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole's season pass detailed
- India's Sensex rallies 250 points; Bharti Airtel climbs 8%
- Le groupe sans Silva, Kurzawa, Motta, Verratti et Cavani — Dijon / PSG