Bayer (OTCPK:BAYRY) agrees to sell significant parts of its crop science business to rival BASF (OTCQX:BASFY) for €5.9B ($6.98B), which it says will partially finance its planned acquisition of Monsanto (NYSE:MON).
"We are taking an active approach to address potential regulatory concerns, with the goal of facilitating a successful close of the Monsanto transaction", said Werner Baumann, Bayer's chief executive and chairman of the board of management. Bayer said that it agreed to the deal in light of its planned acquisition of Monsanto Co.
The 5.9-billion-euro ($7 billion) deal includes Bayer's glufosinate ammonium herbicide business, "essentially all" of its crop seeds units, and related research and development activities, the company said in a statement.
Day 1: GIC subscribed 0.75 times
Axis Capital, Citigroup, Deutsche India, HSBC Securities and Kotak Capital are the book running lead managers to the offer. The IPO received bids for almost 111.67 million shares for the 124.7 million shares on offer, stock-exchange data showed.
This includes canola hybrids in North America under the InVigor brand using the LibertyLink trait technology, oilseed rape mainly in European markets, cotton in the Americas and Europe as well as soybean in the Americas, BASF said.
Under the deal, BASF will acquire Bayer's manufacturing sites for glufosinate-ammonium production and formulation in Germany, the USA and Canada, its seed-breeding facilities in the Americas and Europe and its trait-research facilities in the Americas and Europe. These employees are primarily located in the US, Germany, Brazil, Canada and Belgium, the company said.
The acquisition complements BASF's crop protection business, strengthens its herbicide portfolio and marks its entry into the seed business with proprietary assets in key agricultural markets.
- Non, Google n'achètera pas Apple pour 9 milliards de dollars
- Nubia Z17 miniS with 5.2-inch Display, 6GB RAM, Four Cameras announced
- Life is Strange Before the Storm, l'épisode 2 dévoilé !
- More than £170m in old pounds in our homes to become worthless
- Cypress Head Women's Golf Association supports Breast Cancer Awareness month
- Reliance Capital-Nippon AMC IPO to raise Rs 1500 cr
- Provident Financial plc (PFG) Rating Reiterated by Numis Securities Ltd
- Souleymane Diawara de nouveau devant la justice — Ex-OM
- IIO deployed to fatal officer-involved shooting in Qualicum Beach
- Philip Hammond 'must be sacked for not supporting Brexit' - Tory right