Confusion surrounded a new ordinance regarding the punishment for marijuana possession in the city of Atlanta early Wednesday morning.
Then, about 45 minutes later, Atlanta City Council "recalled" the tweet and said the mayor did not veto the marijuana legislation.
Reed shared a photo of himself signing the legislation into law on Twitter and Facebook Wednesday morning. Reed said he signed the legislation last night and called the false tweet "a political stunt". It began with an exchange between Mayor Reed and Atlanta City Council Communications Director Dexter Chambers about a tweet, which wrongly stated Reed had vetoed the ordinance decriminalizing possession of less than an ounce of marijuana in Atlanta. Chambers blamed a new employee and said it had "nothing to do with politics". It's mind boggling to see how irresponsible every station has been this morning. The new law treats the violation like a speeding ticket, with a maximum fine of $75.
Just over a week away from scoring a major legislative victory that brought more attention to his mayoral campaign, Atlanta City Councilman Kwanza Hall is calling for new and additional marijuana reforms.
USS Tucson, supersonic bomber deployed to South Korea
It's capable of precisely striking North Korea's core facilities in support of Special Operation Forces missions. A Los Angeles-class attack submarine made a stop in the South Korean port of Jinhae, the U.S.
"People of color, young and low-income people are disproportionately jailed-with sentences up to six months-for possessing small amounts of marijuana", Reed wrote in the press release.
The Public Safety Committee voted the proposal down 10-4 in April.
Councilwoman Keisha Lance Bottoms said the ordinance could still be confusing for other state officers, like the Georgia State Patrol and police departments from Atlanta's colleges and universities, according to the Atlanta Business Journal.
- How bromances are threatening heterosexual relationships
- Next Weeks Broker Price Targets For CECO Environmental Corp. (NASDAQ:CECE)
- Mika Singh urges Punjab government to rescue woman from Saudi Arabia
- Singapore c.bank keeps policy on hold, opens door to 2018 tightening
- Argentina, France, Poland seeded in World Cup finals draw pots
- Pawar ends gubernatorial campaign
- Turkey accelerates Idlib military deployment
- Arturo Vidal prend sa retraite internationale — Chili
- TF1 large leader grâce à la série Contact
- (SD)-Sturgis High Cancels Homecoming Over Racism Concerns