Patel was once dropped as the Gujarat CM on grounds of age.
Former Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel told BJP chief Amit Shah that she is not keen to contest in the upcoming Assembly elections, stating her age 75, as the reason behind her decision. She made her intention abundantly clear in a two-page letter to the BJP President Amit Shah. Though she cited the age bar for her resignation past year, there were corruption and nepotism allegations against her and rumours that she had lost her grip over the state adminsitration.
Former Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel Refuses To Contest Gujarat Polls:- The former Gujarat CM, Anandiben Patel (75), has written to BJP leadership saying she does not want to contest the upcoming state elections.
No need to probe claims against Shah's son: Home Minister
His statement came in direct reference to the party's decision to send a Union Minister to defend the businessman, who is not even a party of the government.
Patel, who represents the Ghatlodia constituency, joined the BJP in 1987 and became a legislator in the late 1990s.
"Earlier when I resigned from the post of Chief Minister, I had mentioned the party policy of no senior leader above 75 year's age holding a post. Based on the same principle, I do not intend to contest the 2017 assembly election", Patel wrote. Patel's decision not to contest polls would hamper BJP's last minute attempts to woo the core Patidar voters back into the party fold. Saurabh Patel is sailing against the wind in his own constituency, Akota, where local people and the BJP organisation do not want him to be a BJP candidate again."Meanwhile, the MLA from Unjha, Naran Patel, said, "The Patel community can be won over if Anandiben contests the polls". Her resignation had also led to factionalism rumours in the state unit, as it is said she doesn't have a good rapport with Mr Shah.
- Governor Wants Extra $35M To Help Lake & River Flood Victims
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE:COG) Valuation According To Analysts
- New chief of Paks anti-corruption watchdog takes charge
- April-September income tax revenue up 15.8% at Rs 3.86 lakh cr
- Affaire de Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray : une femme en garde à vue
- Oak Park Mall joins list of retailers closing on Thanksgiving
- Teen Wolf star, Tyler Posey opens up about his private video leak
- Andhra policeman pleads with repeat traffic offender to wear helmet
- Mr Robot returns to screen with promising plot line
- "Defence data stolen from firm using 'admin' and 'guest" as credentials