The Nikkei 225, which hit a 21-year high on Wednesday, rose 0.35 percent, or 73.45 points, to end at 20,954.72, its eighth straight gain.
The broader Topix index of all First Section issues on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, meanwhile, added 5.56 points, or 0.33 percent, to 1,702.37. Tokyo stocks opened higher this morning, as the market took heart from a relatively cheaper yen and gains in the USA market, while scandal-hit Kobe Steel fell for a third straight day.
The surveys showing a clear victory for Japan's Liberal Democratic Party led by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in elections this month contributed to a weaker yen and pushed up stocks, Mizuho Securities said in a note to clients.
The dollar fetched 112.68 yen against 112.65 yen in NY and 113.04 yen in Tokyo on Friday.
Investors also digested minutes of the Federal Reserve that showed USA central bankers were sharply divided over whether to increase rates again this year but with many still favouring a hike, analysts added.
Stephen King's 'The Talisman' Movie Taps Writer Josh Boone
The Talisman doesn't yet have a cast or a set release date, but we'll keep you updated as more information becomes available. It seems like The New Mutants director Josh Boone has been attached to every Stephen King project now in development.
On Wall Street yesterday, all three major indices ended at fresh record highs, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.2 per cent at 22,872.89.
Kobe Steel was expected to fall dramatically following its weekend announcement it had systematically fabricated inspection data for aluminium and copper products.
Some exporters were up on the cheaper yen, which inflates their repatriated profits. Toyota still rose 1.49 percent to 6,992 yen though Nissan fell 0.41 percent to 1,087 yen.
But Uniqlo operator Fast Retailing fell 0.68 percent to 34,850 yen ahead of its latest earnings report.
- Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. (NASDAQ:HMNY), HP Inc. (NYSE:HPQ)
- David Padgett hires his ex-head coach Trent Johnson as assistant
- Introducing the brand new waterproof Kindle Oasis
- New York Jets: Upcoming opponent is not what it used to be
- Aamir Khan's Dangal wins 2017's highest grossing foreign language in Australia
- Trump sitting down with Sean Hannity for exclusive interview during Pa. visit
- Palestinian rivals Fatah and Hamas say progress made in reconciliation deal
- Enterprise Products Partners L. (NYSE:EPD) Experiences Lighter than Average Trading Volume
- Les voitures à essence interdites en 2030 — Paris
- Triple success for 'pre-flown' SpaceX