Tassaduq Hussain Jillani, Pakistan's former chief justice was appointed as an ad-hoc judge at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to represent Pakistan in the Kulbhushan Jadhav case.
The ICJ allows a party in a case to nominate a judge ad hoc when the court has no judge of its nationality.
Justice Jillani served as a judge of the Supreme Court from July 31, 2004 to Dec 11, 2013 and subsequently as the 21st chief justice from Dec 11, 2013 to July 5, 2014.
His appointment was made after military, civil and legal officers over the weekend discussed the course of action.
Forced by the criticism and loss of face when India won the round one of the case, the government of Pakistan then began to seriously look for someone who could represent it at the ICJ.
India has submitted its 22-page written response in the ICJ while Pakistan will submit its reply by December 13.
Les Tamagotchi sont de retour en France en édition limitée
En appuyant sur les boutons situés autour d'un tout petit écran vidéo, on pouvait nourrir, laver et soigner notre ami virtuel. Cette édition sera plus petite que les originaux de 1996, mais c'est la seule chose qui change!
Islamabad resorted to the move as the 12-member tribunal hearing Jadhav's case has an Indian member - Dalveer Bhandari, a former Supreme Court judge.
India had contended that it was not informed of Mr. Jadhav's detention until long after his arrest and that Pakistan failed to inform the accused of his rights.
The operative had contacts with banned organizations and was working on plans to break Karachi and Balochistan away from Pakistan, and to sabotage the billion dollar China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) project. Earlier that month, India had approached the ICJ to seek the annulment of the death sentence awarded by the military court to Jadhav.
India, however, maintains that Jadhav was kidnapped from Iran where he had business interests after retiring from the Indian Navy.
Jadhav has filed a mercy petition to Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa, to spare his life on "compassionate grounds".
- Les Etats-Unis se retirent de l'Unesco, mais resteront observateurs
- With Win In Mumbai Civic By-Election BJP Just 2 Seats Behind Sena
- Nasser Al-Khelaïfi mis en cause par la justice suisse
- Watchdog provisionally clears Just Eat's take out of Hungryhouse
- Cedar Capital LLC Acquires Shares of 1394 FedEx Corporation (FDX)
- DJ Cooper déjà sur le départ — Gravelines
- Roger Federer qualifié sans difficulté pour les quarts à Shanghai
- Aboubakar blindé et définitivement racheté — Porto
- Haute-Garonne : handicapé, il poursuit son ami une hache à la main
- USA pulls out of UNESCO amid Palestinian tensions