Days after disqualified Nawaz Sharif was re-elected as president of PML-N, Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Senator Aitzaz Ahsan tabled the resolution questioning that a person, who cannot become a member of the Parliament due to disqualification by court, having unsound mind or leaving Pakistani nationality, can "become an office bearer of any political party".
The resolution, presented by PPP's Senator Chaudhry Aitzaz Ahsan, pointed out that an un-elected person who has given up Pakistani citizenship, who is declared to be of an unsound mind or disqualified from holding public office by a court, can not become the head of a party and take decisions.
It was further contended that by electing a disqualified person as a party chief, the parliament had become "exposed to becoming hostage to a person who himself is barred from entering it".
Law Minister Zahid Hamid opposed the resolution when put forward for debate and said that every party has the right to choose its leader from one of its members.
The resolution was approved by the Senate with 52 votes in favour and 28 against it.
Tata Teleservices to merge with Airtel on 'cash-free, debt-free' basis
Bharti Airtel will absorb the operations of TTSL and TTML across the country in 19 telecom service areas, it added. The transaction will create substantial long-term value for shareholders given the significant synergies, he said.
Leader of the House Senator Raja Zafarul Haq said that a bill regarding the issue had already passed from the Senate, so bringing a new resolution on the issue same is inappropriate.
He said the legislation passed by the parliament was aimed to strike down the law introduced by another military dictator.
Last month, the Senate, despite the opposition parties' combined strength outnumbering the treasury benches, had passed the Elections Bill 2017, paving way for former prime minister Nawaz Sharif to once again take the helm of the PML-N.
The House prorogued sine die.
- Apple Reportedly Working On Foldable Phone With LG Display
- Russia May Demand US Cut Diplomatic Staff
- Gary Barlow to play Thetford Forest
- LG and Apple may partner to make foldable displays for the iPhone
- From warm to cool and back again
- Amazon introduces a new discounted Prime subscription price for students
- "Zidane m'a conseillé d'aller à l'OL", confie Mariano
- Supreme Court Issues Guidelines To Accord Senior Designation To Lawyers
- PSG : Emery fait le point sur les blessés
- India face Macau with eye on Asian Cup 2019 berth