Canadian Joshua Boyle, his American wife Caitlan Coleman and their children are on their way home after five years held hostage by the Haqqani network.
The last known footage of the couple surfaced in December past year when they appeared in video urging their governments to secure their release.
According to an Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) statement issued here, the hostages were recovered in an intelligence-based operation conducted by Pakistani troops.
The Taliban released a "proof of life" video of Coleman, Boyle and their two children in December 2016 where Coleman addressed President Barack Obama and then President-elect Trump, saying the Taliban "are not going to simply release our family easily, because it is correct".
Military plane crash in Spain - casualties unclear
The Eurofighter crashed near to the Los Llanos air base in Albacete south of Madrid at just after midday (local time). Spain's national day marks the date that Christopher Columbus first arrived in the Americas in 1492.
ABC News reports that Caitlan Coleman, 31, and her husband Joshua Boyle, 34, were freed from Taliban captivity and then secured in an exchange between Pakistani military and USA commandos late Wednesday. But this is a country that did not respect us.
Defense Secretary James Mattis and Gen. Joseph Dunford told Congress last week Pakistan would no longer be a sanctuary for terrorism.
The Haqqani network has been accused of masterminding several high-profile terrorist attacks in the Afghan capital and have been known to kidnap Western hostages and smuggle them across the border into Pakistan.
In September, three administration officials told CNN that US Special Operations Forces from SEAL Team 6 attempted to rescue the two teachers shortly after they were kidnapped but the captives were not at the location the US forces raided.
- Bay Area teams pledge $450000 for fire relief efforts
- Meghan Markle and prince Harry : there is marriage in the air ! - Here
- Devineni Uma opens Srisailam floodgates, releases water
- PSG : Emery fait le point sur les blessés
- Tata Teleservices to merge with Airtel on 'cash-free, debt-free' basis
- From warm to cool and back again
- Njie n'est toujours pas rentré sur Marseille — OM
- Le Hamas et le Fatah annoncent leur réconciliation — Palestine
- Amazon introduces a new discounted Prime subscription price for students
- Scotch Whisky Makers Sell A Million Fewer Bottles After Tax Hike