Puerto Rico's Miguel Cotto, a 6-time world champion over 4 different weight divisions, will fight for the final time on December 2 in NY against hometown foe Sadam Ali, promoters announced Wednesday, October 11.
Miguel Cotto who is about to turn 37 years old this coming October 29 is the first Puerto Rican or probably the single one who has ever won world titles in all the four weight categories.
"What can you say about Miguel Cotto that hasn't already been said during his two decades in boxing?"
Ali, a 2008 U.S. Olympian fighting out of Brooklyn who has held multiple regional titles, will get his second shot at a world championship after earning victories over top welterweight contenders including Francisco "Chia" Santana, Luis Carlos "El Potro" Abregu and most recently former interim WBA World Super Lightweight Champion Johan "El Terrible" Perez.
Gomez also said that his company tried to pair Cotto to bigger named fighters, but for some apparent reasons, the deal was impossible.
"I've worked really hard my entire career to be at this level". Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya said.
Freeport-McMoran, Inc. (FCX) Position Boosted by State Street Corp
This number is based on a 1 to 5 scale where 1 indicates a Strong Buy recommendation while 5 represents a Strong Sell. Fisher Asset Management LLC purchased a new stake in Freeport-McMoran during the 2nd quarter valued at $122,000.
Cotto will be making the first defense of the vacant junior middleweight title he won by lopsided decision against Japan's Yoshihiro Kamegai on August 26.
Cotto has defeated a host of stars since his 2001 pro debut, including Zab Judah, Paulie Malignaggi, Shane Mosley, Antonio Margarito and Ricardo Mayorga.
"I'm fully concentrated on getting together with (trainer) Freddie Roach so we can work hard and have a great victory". "He is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, a true legend in Puerto Rico, New York and beyond, and a true credit to the sport of boxing".
The choice of Ali is a head-scratcher at first glance, but the selection wasn't due to Cotto wanting an easy fight to end his legendary career. In March 2016, Ali suffered a ninth-round knockout at the hands of Jessie Vargas in their fight for a vacant welterweight world title. Ali has won three in a row since.
"I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to fight a legend in Madison Square Garden in front of all my fans and on HBO", Ali said. "My time is now".
- Trump names Eric Hargan as acting Health Secretary
- Local Boy Scouts embrace co-ed change, Girl Scouts to stay girls-only
- Analyst's Rankings to Lookout: SunPower Corporation (SPWR), The Charles Schwab Corporation (SCHW)
- Levothyrox: les autorités annoncent près de 15.000 cas d'effets indésirables
- Spain sets clock ticking on Catalan independence row
- Pékin monte en créneau face à Trump — Accord nucléaire iranien
- Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony perform on Univision-Telemundo disaster-relief simulcast
- British jihadi bride dubbed White Widow 'killed in air strike'
- Jamie Carragher says Arsene Wenger was right about the top four
- Un policier de la BRI blessé mortellement lors d'un exercice — Toulouse