A MI judge has reduced the child custody rights of a woman who was jailed for five days for not following through on an agreement to vaccinate her 9-year-old son.
In court on Wednesday, a judge ruled the child's father, James Horne, will now take over primary custody.
In court, she said vaccinating her son goes against all of her beliefs, saying parents have the choice to make the right decision based on their knowledge of vaccines.
'I'm a passionate mother who cares deeply about my children, their health, and their well-being, ' she said.
"If my child was forced to be vaccinated, I couldn't bring myself to do it", she said.
Bredow, from suburban Detroit, agreed to immunize her son last November during a custody battle with her husband, the judge noted in court last Wednesday. Since then, Bredow has had physical custody, with Horne taking his son on alternate weekends.
Pak Army recovers five foreigners kidnapped in 2012
Joseph Dunford told Congress last week Pakistan would no longer be a sanctuary for terrorism. But this is a country that did not respect us.
Bredow was sentenced to seven days in jail for not following a court's consent order to vaccinate her son. She also granted temporary custody to Horne and ordered the boy to be vaccinated.
'It's clear to me that you don't care about orders even if you agree to them, which you did, ' Judge McDonald explained during proceedings last week.
MI is one of 17 states that allows for medical, religious, and philosophical exemptions from vaccines.
After Bredow said that she and her ex-husband agreed until recently on not vaccinating their child, the judge said that Bredow acknowledged in her own pleadings that he was up-to-date on his vaccinations when he was a year old.
While the family had the option to wait, the child's father showed concerned about their son's well-being and took the matter to court when he lost power. Bredow, on the other hand, was near tears as she discussed her stint in prison and the court rulings. Her attorney plans to appeal.
- Pak Senate passes resolution against law aiding Nawaj Sharif
- Traders Sell Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) on Strength (XOM)
- Drive to aid Puerto Rico Recovery
- PSG : Emery fait le point sur les blessés
- Devineni Uma opens Srisailam floodgates, releases water
- Tata Teleservices to merge with Airtel on 'cash-free, debt-free' basis
- "Zidane m'a conseillé d'aller à l'OL", confie Mariano
- Comcast Corporation (CMCSA) Holdings Raised by Schwab Charles Investment Management Inc
- Le Hamas et le Fatah annoncent leur réconciliation — Palestine
- Njie n'est toujours pas rentré sur Marseille — OM