The Italian fashion house, headed up by Alessandro Michele and known for its fur lined loafers, is being helped in its new fur free mission by the Humane Society of the U.S. (HSUS) and LAV, an organisation that believes in animal free fashion.
The company's chief executive, Marco Bizzarri, said the move to go fur free formed part of a commitment to "sustainability". "Mr. Armani has been a trendsetter in the fashion world for decades and this latest announcement is proof that compassion and innovation are the future of fashion". The brand is also joining the Fur Free Alliance, which 'is an global coalition of 40 animal protection organizations working together to end the exploitation and killing of animals for fur.' It is also auctioning off any fur products that it still owns, with proceeds going to an Italian animal rights group, LAV, and the Humane Society in the US.
Animal rights campaigners called the move a "huge game changer".
The UK became the first country to ban fur farming in 2000.
North Yorkshire Restaurant Rated 'Best In The World'
A village pub in North Yorkshire is the best restaurant in the world, according to an worldwide survey of customer reviews. It marks the first time a United Kingdom restaurant has topped the world category since the awards began in 2012.
In fact, mass farmed fur from Asia can now be produced so cheaply that it has been mislabelled as synthetic.
Gucci will become part of the Fur Free Alliance, an worldwide group of more than 40 organisations which campaigns on animal welfare and promotes alternatives to fur in the fashion industry. The brand also announced that they will announce a charity auction of remaining animal fur items, with proceeds benefiting the aforementioned charities.
Gucci says it will no longer use mink, coyote, raccoon dog, fox, rabbit or all other species specially bred or caught.
The investigation found real animal fur being sold in House of Fraser and fast fashion outlet Missguided - despite both retailers having fur-free policies.
- Mobile wallets to become interoperable within six months; RBI issues final guidelines
- David Padgett hires his ex-head coach Trent Johnson as assistant
- Angelina Jolie Shares Her 'Harper's Bazaar' Cover with Three Rescue Cheetahs!
- Oculus Rift now available for just $399 in USA
- QCOM) — QUALCOMM Incorporated (NASDAQ
- La taxe foncière a augmenté de 14 % entre 2011 et 2016 (Unpi)
- Tokyo stocks close at fresh two-decade highs
- Sia finally drops wig in her latest boob-sharing photo on Instagram!
- Google removes Home Mini's touch functionality following privacy concerns
- Lufthansa set to sign Air Berlin deal