Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly builds the following vehicles: Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Volt.
General Motors ( GM ) reportedly plans to idle a Detroit factory for six weeks starting in mid-November due to weak sales.
GM has slashed passenger-car production in the past year, laying off almost 3,000 workers and transferring some to plants making SUVs, the Journal said. While the temporary layoff affects nearly 1,500 workers, when operations resume, 200 employees will be out of a job. The cut comes as demand for passenger cars continues to fall as consumers shift to crossovers, SUVs and trucks.
Weather Warning: Durban braces as gale force winds forecast
The eThekwini Municipality's spokesperson, Tozi Mthethwa warned residents of two imminent cold fronts approaching Durban. Residents are requested to please only call the emergency management call centre for emergencies on 031 361 0000.
Domestic manufacturers "continue to face steep competition in the passenger auto segment and production must be aligned with waning sales in order to reduce the elevated amounts of inventory", Buckingham Research Group analyst Joseph Amaturo wrote in a client note about the Hamtramck news.
Earlier this year, GM eliminated the plant's second shift, saying it was laying off around 1,200 workers. The automaker announced last month that it would cut the third shift at its plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee, as of late November. Along with that announcement, GM said it planned to layoff around 1,200 employees at the plant. The spokesman also says that while 6,000 jobs were eliminated, 2,300 temporary workers and 800 of its hourly, union-represented workers have been laid off, for a total of 3,100 job cuts so far.
Shares of GM fell 1.4% to 44.82 on the stock market today, easing from the post-bankruptcy high of 45.59 set in Wednesday's session but still in profit-taking sell territory.
- Domino's stock falls despite 3Q sales growth
- Backstage News On Plans For Enzo Amore And The Cruiserweight Title
- Crash d'un avion militaire en Espagne
- British PM May says Brexit talks making good progress
- White SC restaurant manager accused of torturing, 'enslaving' mentally challenged black man
- Caroline Garcia qualifiée pour le Championnat de fin de saison à Singapour
- RB Leipzig nearly signed Mbappe, claims Rangnick
- Delhi Metro Price Hike: All You Need To Know
- Les nouveaux candidats arrivent enfin — Secret Story
- Trump Warns Puerto Rico Weeks After Storms: Federal Help Cannot Stay 'Forever'