Police said the couple, identified by family members as Waldiman and Ethlin Thompson, were sitting in their Brooklyn home around 3:30 p.m. when four masked men stormed in, FOX5 reported.
Law enforcement sources say surveillance footage caught the two men leaving the Decatur Street home, with one wearing a backpack and another holding the lockbox where the couple kept money.
Investigators say the home was ransacked but it's unclear if anything was stolen. "She said, "Somebody just tied me and my husband up and robbed us" and said please use your phone".
"The officers entered her apartment and found her 91-year-old husband tied up and lying on the floor", NYPD Deputy Chief Michael Kemper said at a press conference Wednesday. There wasn't initially any sign of forced entry, though police stressed that the investigation is still in its preliminary stages.
"They were like a grandmother and grandfather to me", he said. "Right now, there's no reason to arrest him".
"It is very suspicious to me", Delroy said.
The elderly couple owned the brownstone and collected rent from three tenants in the building.
Equifax reportedly hacked again, this tie with fake pop ups
Equifax Inc . pulled one of its customer help pages from its site so the company's security team can investigate reports of another possible cyber attack.
Once the suspects left, Ethlin wiggled free from her restraints and called police.
But Ethlin was able to escape, running out of the house and calling 911, according to Pix11. My husband laying there and might be dead.' I said I can't go in there because it would be a crime scene'.
He said he tried to persuade his father and stepmother to move closer to him in Tamarac, FL.
He also added that Ethlin had mentioned that she had lost the key to her lockbox and was planning to call a locksmith.
Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and indictment in the case.
It's possible the attackers knew the couple, according to the News.
- Crash d'un avion militaire en Espagne
- Army pays tribute to IAF commandos
- Justice Dept. gives 'last chance' for sanctuary cities to comply
- Une croissance de 2,4 % en 2017 (Banque mondiale) — Afrique subsaharienne
- Bannon: GOP's Entire 'Establishment Globalist Clique' Must Go
- La sœur de Kim Jong-un promue au sein du parti unique
- Weather Warning: Durban braces as gale force winds forecast
- Bruno Mars leads American Music Awards nominees with 8
- British PM May says Brexit talks making good progress
- White SC restaurant manager accused of torturing, 'enslaving' mentally challenged black man