Police said the couple, identified by family members as Waldiman and Ethlin Thompson, were sitting in their Brooklyn home around 3:30 p.m. when four masked men stormed in, FOX5 reported.
Law enforcement sources say surveillance footage caught the two men leaving the Decatur Street home, with one wearing a backpack and another holding the lockbox where the couple kept money.
Investigators say the home was ransacked but it's unclear if anything was stolen. "She said, "Somebody just tied me and my husband up and robbed us" and said please use your phone".
"The officers entered her apartment and found her 91-year-old husband tied up and lying on the floor", NYPD Deputy Chief Michael Kemper said at a press conference Wednesday. There wasn't initially any sign of forced entry, though police stressed that the investigation is still in its preliminary stages.
"They were like a grandmother and grandfather to me", he said. "Right now, there's no reason to arrest him".
"It is very suspicious to me", Delroy said.
The elderly couple owned the brownstone and collected rent from three tenants in the building.
Dun-Laoghaire - Rathdown has lowest percentage of Catholics, Offaly the highest
That figure represents 10.1% of the population, the second largest category, and has increased by over 4% in the last five years. On average, Church of Ireland members in Offaly were five years older (42.2 years) than the overall population in the county.
Once the suspects left, Ethlin wiggled free from her restraints and called police.
But Ethlin was able to escape, running out of the house and calling 911, according to Pix11. My husband laying there and might be dead.' I said I can't go in there because it would be a crime scene'.
He said he tried to persuade his father and stepmother to move closer to him in Tamarac, FL.
He also added that Ethlin had mentioned that she had lost the key to her lockbox and was planning to call a locksmith.
Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and indictment in the case.
It's possible the attackers knew the couple, according to the News.
- François Fillon placé sous le statut de témoin assisté — Affaire Penelope
- White SC restaurant manager accused of torturing, 'enslaving' mentally challenged black man
- Crash d'un avion militaire en Espagne
- Trump Warns Puerto Rico Weeks After Storms: Federal Help Cannot Stay 'Forever'
- GOP Senator Asks Trump If He's 'Recanting' Constitutional Oath
- British PM May says Brexit talks making good progress
- Uddhav Thackeray wants BMC role in Metro work
- 'Outlander': Maria Doyle Kennedy & Ed Speleers Join Season 4 Cast
- Watch Linkin Park's 'Carpool Karaoke' with Chester Bennington
- Shell to buy electric vehicle charging providers