Two militants and as many army men were killed in a fierce encounter at Hajin area of north Kashmir's Bandipora district on Wednesday.
The identity of militants, suspected to be from Pakistan-based Lashkar-a-Taiba, was yet to be ascertained.
"The terrorists opened fire and lobbed a grenade, in which one Garud Commando Corporal Nilesh Kumar Nayan attained martyrdom on the spot while another Garud Commando Sergeant Khairnar Milind Kishor got seriously injured and later succumbed to his injuries", a police spokesman said.
Two Garud squads, each consisting of one officer and 13 other ranks, have been deployed in Kashmir.
The fighting has left tens of thousands dead, majority civilians and earlier this year India launched "Operation Allout" to hunt down the rebels.
Police officials said, one soldier was reported injured in the encounter near Paribal village. Two Kashmiris were also died in a gunfight with Indian security forces in Bandipora district.
Caroline Garcia qualifiée pour le Championnat de fin de saison à Singapour
Les autres joueuses qualifiées sont la no 1 mondiale Simona Halep, Garbine Muguruza, Karolina Pliskova, Elina Svitolina, Venus Williams, Caroline Wozniacki et Jelena Ostapenko.
The firing had stopped and search operations were on, local sources said.
The police maintain that almost 25 militants were active in Bandipora district and a group of seven terrorists, led by LeT's Mehmood Bhai, a Pakistani national, is active in Hajin area.
Last week, three rebels and an Indian paramilitary personnel were killed in an attack, when the rebels stormed an army camp outside the airport in Srinagar.
The Army said in a statement that "befitting" tributes were paid to the two IAF martyrs at a wreath-laying ceremony at Srinagar's Badami Bagh cantonment, home of the 15 (Chinar) Corps.
Sources said the team returned the fire in which two terrorists, identified as Nasrullah Mir alias Anna, a local extremist and a foreign terrorist Ali Bai alias Abu Bakker got killed.
According to reports, the operation is still on.
- Largest Team USA supporters group demands US Soccer president's resignation
- Uddhav Thackeray wants BMC role in Metro work
- Owner of Breaking Bad house installs fence to combat fans' pizza throwing
- " "Ouverture d'un centre de " pré-accueil " pour migrants — Cergy-Pontoise
- Wall Street end record high post the US Fed meet minutes
- Weather Warning: Durban braces as gale force winds forecast
- Bishop resigns after Vatican probe into cash and mistress claims
- $25bn NNPC scam: Osinbajo says he signed the contracts
- RB Leipzig nearly signed Mbappe, claims Rangnick
- Trump Tells Longtime Employee 'I Hate Everyone in the White House'