"I think this was a win-win", Payton said.
Peterson, who had said all the right things about sharing time but acknowledged he'd like to play more, joins an Arizona team in need of a lead back since David Johnson suffered an injury in the season opener.
The Saints coach wouldn't say if he'd have still signed Peterson if the running back had been available after the draft. And it was an opportunity really where he was gonna obviously get somewhere and be featured more.
But when asked if that means the Saints would not have signed Peterson if they knew they were going to draft Kamara, Payton said it was too much of a hypothetical question.
"In my discussions yesterday with (Cardinals general manager) Steve Keim, it was like, 'Hey, this guy still has it, and here's what he does well and we've seen it, '" Payton said Wednesday morning. ESPN reported the Saints compensation in the deal is a conditional 2018 sixth-round draft. "I know Arizona was short at this position, and there's a confidence level we have with how Mark and how Alvin are playing". Although Ingram was coming off the best season of his career, New Orleans still had an opening for a complementary back, and the Saints signed Peterson to fill the role previously held by Tim Hightower.
Payton again referenced that the National Football League has free agency before the draft - unlike the NBA - as a way of suggesting that the Saints' needs or roles changed after they drafted Kamara.
Coach rebrands itself Tapestry as brand portfolio grows
To better incorporate all of the brands it owns, the storied Coach company of NY is changing its name to Tapestry. Coach Inc. will also be changing its ticker symbol on the New York Stock Exchange from " COH ", to "TPR".
"These are all hypotheticals", Payton said.
Kamara has 15 carries for 83 yards, a 5.5-yard average that included a 25-yard touchdown run.
After a Week 4 win in which he had just 4 carries for 4 yards against the Miami Dolphins, Peterson grumbled more about his role. The rookie is also second on the Saints in both receptions (20) and receiving yards (147).
"One of the challenges when you have the depth we have is having enough touches for all these guys".
Peterson carried the ball 27 times for a 81 yards in four games with the Saints.
- John Farrell will not return as Red Sox manager in 2018
- IU Unveils $50M Plan To Help Reduce Opioid Addiction In Indiana
- Petition for prohibition, writ of amparo filed vs gov't war on drugs
- Paper maker Mondi's shares tumble on profit warning
- Jupiter Fund Management sees strong inflow of funds in the third quarter
- Anti-abortion groups facing ban outside west London clinic
- La Une des "Inrocks" sur Bertrand Cantat provoque un tollé
- More candidates to join repeat presidential poll
- Ireland edge closer to first-ever Test against Pakistan
- Twitter Flips Decision, Lets Blackburn Promote 'Baby Body Parts' Video