"Violence can never be an instrument in politics".
Al Jazeera's Laurence Lee, reporting from Barcelona, said: "Many people are saying that the mandate, as they see it, of the referendum needs to be accepted and mirrored by the Catalan parliament".
Rafael Nadal has revealed his deep angst over the events that unfolded surrounding the Catalan independence referendum in his home country.
"This moment calls for mediation", he said.
"We know that there may be disbarments, arrests".
The EU executive called again on Wednesday for the Spanish government and Catalan authorities to open a dialogue.
Ford Motor Credit Company 10 N0201 (1628.HK) Needle Moving on Volume
Investors hope that they won't have to deal with stock picks that don't pan out, but this happens quite often in the stock market. The auto manufacturer reported $0.56 earnings per share for the quarter, topping the consensus estimate of $0.43 by $0.13.
Nadal, a national hero in Spain who had spoken out before the referendum to condemn it, was visibly moved as he addressed a press conference in Beijing.
Hundreds of thousands of people across Catalonia have been protesting over Spanish police violence during the vote, during which nearly 900 people were hurt, including 33 police officers.
Madrid says it will not formally recognise an independence declaration, reports The Guardian.
The attempt to stop the vote came after Spain's Constitutional Court ruled that the referendum violated the country's constitution because it "does not recognize the right to self-determination and establishes that sovereignty resides with Spanish citizens collectively", according to the Washington Post. "Despite how much they are incited, and despite how much they (the Spanish authorities and security forces) want them to fall into the trap, they have demonstrated peacefully and sung loud and clear". The team went on to win 3-0 in what the 30-year-old described as his "hardest game", the BBC reported. The country was later rocked by an attempted coup in 1981 that was faced down by Felipe's father, King Juan Carlos.
- Raiders QB Derek Carr questionable for Ravens game in Week 5
- Game of Thrones Final Episodes Will Be Even Longer
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited (BABA) Striking Insider Ownership of 52.36%
- Aptevo Therapeutics Inc (APVO) Is It Worthy for Investors?
- International Campaign To Abolish Nuclear Weapons Wins 2017 Nobel Peace Prize
- Costco announced it would deliver groceries. Then its stock fell 6 percent
- Market Notes: Watching Shares of Singapore Index MSCI Ishares (EWS)
- Ralphie May Dead - 'Last Coming Standing' Comedian Dies at 45
- MAS Financial IPO subscribed 49% so far on Day 1
- AG Marshall Announces Lawsuits to Put an End to Illegal Gambling