"Violence can never be an instrument in politics".
Al Jazeera's Laurence Lee, reporting from Barcelona, said: "Many people are saying that the mandate, as they see it, of the referendum needs to be accepted and mirrored by the Catalan parliament".
Rafael Nadal has revealed his deep angst over the events that unfolded surrounding the Catalan independence referendum in his home country.
"This moment calls for mediation", he said.
"We know that there may be disbarments, arrests".
The EU executive called again on Wednesday for the Spanish government and Catalan authorities to open a dialogue.
Federal judge releases Kobach-Trump meeting documents
District Judge Julie Robinson as part of a voting rights lawsuit filed in February 2016 by the American Civil Liberties Union. That document, presented to Trump last November, was photographed by The Associated Press.
Nadal, a national hero in Spain who had spoken out before the referendum to condemn it, was visibly moved as he addressed a press conference in Beijing.
Hundreds of thousands of people across Catalonia have been protesting over Spanish police violence during the vote, during which nearly 900 people were hurt, including 33 police officers.
Madrid says it will not formally recognise an independence declaration, reports The Guardian.
The attempt to stop the vote came after Spain's Constitutional Court ruled that the referendum violated the country's constitution because it "does not recognize the right to self-determination and establishes that sovereignty resides with Spanish citizens collectively", according to the Washington Post. "Despite how much they are incited, and despite how much they (the Spanish authorities and security forces) want them to fall into the trap, they have demonstrated peacefully and sung loud and clear". The team went on to win 3-0 in what the 30-year-old described as his "hardest game", the BBC reported. The country was later rocked by an attempted coup in 1981 that was faced down by Felipe's father, King Juan Carlos.
- Game of Thrones Final Episodes Will Be Even Longer
- Ralphie May Dead - 'Last Coming Standing' Comedian Dies at 45
- Woman's brilliant revenge on catcalling men
- International Campaign To Abolish Nuclear Weapons Wins 2017 Nobel Peace Prize
- Aadhaar made mandatory for small saving schemes
- Bruxelles attaque l'Irlande en justice — Apple / Impôt
- Are Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) Stock Technicals Favorable?
- Costco announced it would deliver groceries. Then its stock fell 6 percent
- Las Vegas, Nevada's Gun Control Laws Explained
- Constellation Brands Inc. (NYSE:STZ)