Royal Mail workers are to strike for 48 hours later this month after talks failed to resolve a dispute linked to pensions, pay and jobs.
The union confirmed to Royal Mail on Thursday that it was planning two days of industrial action between 1100BST on October 19 to 1100BST on October 21.
The dispute centres around a proposed change to Royal Mail pensions from its current final salary scheme to a new form of defined benefit scheme, which will affect new members from April next year. "Royal Mail Group management have clearly moved away from the spirit and intent of our agreements and the empty promises of privatisation, and have suffered a huge vote of no confidence from their employees and CWU members as a outcome", he said.
General secretary Dave Ward said it was a "watershed dispute" that would determine the future of the service.
Danushka Gunathilaka suspended by SLC on account of misconduct
Gunathilaka found himself omitted from the ODI squad that will take on Pakistan, next week in Abu Dhabi. As a result, a fine of 20 percent of his applicable annual contract fee.
The union was understood to be lining up a strike to coincide with Black Friday, the day widely acknowledged as the start of the Christmas shopping period, with retailers offering large discounts on items.
The union said its members at Parcelforce would also be involved in the action, threatening wider disruption to deliveries.
"It is highly disappointing that after 18 months of negotiations including external mediation that we have reached this point".
"Royal Mail Group management have clearly moved away from the spirit and intent of our agreements and the empty promises of privatisation, and have suffered a huge vote of no confidence from their employees and CWU members as a effect", he said.
- Le président du Comité olympique brésilien sous les verrous — JO de Rio
- Russia's air force ready to halt IS actions in Syria
- House approves 2018 budget outline, takes first step for tax reform
- Manuel Valls va présider la mission de l'Assemblée sur la Nouvelle-Calédonie
- Kellyanne Conway Uses Trump's Visit To Las Vegas To Attack His Critics
- Seven score in double-figures as Timberwolves top Warriors in China
- Hardik Pandya reveals identity of the 'mystery girl' in his viral picture
- Facebook is testing adding context to news stories
- América, con Ibarra al cambio, se impone en campo del Toluca
- Second human case of WNV diagnosed in Onondaga County