Cigna said its customers who are now using OxyContin for hospice care or cancer treatment will continue to have it covered through 2018.
"Our focus is on helping customers get the most value from their medications - this means obtaining effective pain relief while also guarding against opioid misuse", said Jon Maesner, Cigna's chief pharmacy officer. The company said the move is to reduce opioid abuse.
At the same time, Cigna announced a contract to continue covering a competing oxycodone alternative to OxyContin, which will impose a financial penalty on that drug's maker if too much of the drug ends up being used by the insurer's customers.
Two people treated after reports of building explosion
Residents in nearby properties have also been evacuated. "There was a huge bang though and police looked very anxious ". The MP for Airdrie and Shotts said: "I am shocked to hear about the explosion in Bonkle Road".
"We continually evaluate the clinical effectiveness, affordability, and safety of all our covered medications as these characteristics can change over time, and we make adjustments that we believe will provide better overall value for those we serve". President Donald Trump has promised to give greater aid to those affected by addiction.
The insurer has signed a "value-based contract" with Collegium Pharmaceutical Inc for Xtampza ER, an extended-release oxycodone equivalent that can not be made more fast-acting through cutting or crushing.
Cigna said it will consider approving OxyContin if a customer's doctor finds it medically necessary.
- Danushka Gunathilaka suspended by SLC on account of misconduct
- América, con Ibarra al cambio, se impone en campo del Toluca
- Kellyanne Conway Uses Trump's Visit To Las Vegas To Attack His Critics
- Peter Kraus Gets a Second Chance at Love on 'Bachelor Winter Games'
- The Ultra Recon Squad debut in new Pokémon Ultra Sun & Moon trailer
- Netflix va augmenter ses tarifs dans de nombreux pays
- Marsha Blackburn announces bid for US Senate seat
- Two people killed in crash in Milton following police pursuit
- Joburg warns residents for bird flu H5N8
- Maroc : des campagnes toujours plus pauvres, des villes un peu moins