It instructs the city attorney to draft a resolution, one that's expected to be voted on again next week, that would recognize indigenous people each second Monday in October.
The motion, which makes Indigenous Peoples Day an official county holiday, also designates October 12 as Italian American Heritage Day. Supervisor Hilda Solis, who co-authored the county motion with Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, said the change would not mean forgetting what Columbus had done, but would lead to a fuller understanding. "And while we can't change the past, we can acknowledge and make that history right today".
Although Columbus Day is a federally recognized holiday the city does not close down nor does the Long Beach Unified School District.
Supervisor Kathryn Barger voted against the motion without comment.
Indigenous Peoples' Day declared October 9
"I'm now taking a Native American literature class and after learning about Columbus and how he was a rapist and how he abused the Native Americans, I'd have to say I would rather support Native Americans than Christopher Columbus", health care systems administration sophomore Emily Laforce said. "But still we want to honor the various ways that history has touched us". He landed instead in the Caribbean, where he was said to have committed atrocities against the native island people he found there.
Theresa Marquez spoke on behalf of her late Native American husband, as well as her daughter and grandchildren. "The people that took it from them forcefully, they aren't the original inhabitants of this land, so it's kind of amusing that we would celebrate that".
The City Council made that decision at last night's meeting, replacing Columbus day with Indigenous Peoples Day, a day to honor the native tribes who populated America before the Italian explorer discovered it. Mayor Heidi Harmon read a proclamation at yesterday's meeting recognizing the history, culture, and value indigenous people add to the community.
Peterson sees no end in sight to anthem protests
Kaepernick drew the national spotlight with his protest, but has not been hired by any team since becoming a free agent. Kalafer said that the majority of those with whom he's spoken were displeased with "lack of direction" within the NFL.
- NBA GM's predict Lakers' Lonzo Ball will win Rookie of the Year
- Work causes mental health issues in 60% of employees
- France 2. Thomas Sotto, nouveau joker de Delahousse à 20 heures
- Russian-linked Facebook ads targeted Michigan, Wisconsin during 2016 election
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Giants injury report: Jason Pierre-Paul, Weston Richburg not at practice
- Newest Trailer for Assassin's Creed Features the Birth of the Assassins
- New 'Justice League' Trailer Confirmed for Sunday
- Jennifer Lopez annule ses concerts de Las Vegas après l'attaque
- Senator to former Equifax CEO: Don't repeat Wells Fargo's mistakes