The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Tuesday appointed Soumya Swaminathan as Deputy Director General for Programmes of the United Nations agency based in Geneva, Switzerland that is concerned with worldwide public health. Swaminathan is now the director general of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). The appointment will skyrocket her position to the second highest position in the Geneva-based United Nations organisation just below the Director-General.
Swaminathan will be the deputy director general for programmes (DDG) and Jane Ellison will be the deputy director general for corporate operations (DDC), said the World Health Organization director-general while announcing his senior leadership team. "Dr Swaminathan was India's nominee", said a source in the Union health ministry who did not want to be named.
"Julia Roberts was a 'selfish little brat" as a young actor
According to the star, meeting her husband of 15 years, Danny Moder , changed her perspective and helped her mature as a person. "I was my priority, a selfish little brat running around making films", she shared. "I was my priority", she said.
She is the daughter of M.S. Swaminathan, the agricultural scientist acclaimed as the father of India's Green Revolution. Before her appointment to the post, Swaminathan also served as Secretary of the Department of Health Research. Her mother, Mina, is an educationist, and as chairperson of the study group on the development of pre-school children, had submitted a report that formed the basis of the Integrated Child Development Services. A pediatrician from India and a globally recognized researcher on tuberculosis and HIV, she brings with her 30 years of experience in clinical care and research and has worked throughout her career to translate research into impactful programmes.
She has served as the director of the National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis in Chennai and was the coordinator of a special program for research and training in tropical diseases jointly sponsored by several global organizations in Geneva. She was also the Co-Chair of the Lancet Commission on TB.
- WWE 2K18 won't be plagued by paid micro-transactions
- Zogenix, Inc. (ZGNX) Major Shareholder Purchases 222055 Shares of Stock
- Trudeau to meet with Trump in Washington next week
- Footballers anxious about concussion can 'play chess' instead, says Roy Keane
- Ways Destiny 2's Next Faction Rally Can Be Even Better
- Jaguar XF Sportbrake Pulls Skier At 117 MPH For World Record
- Here's how to help Las Vegas shooting victims
- DFW Man Back Home After Leading Police To Vegas Shooter
- Scientists have discovered they can harness your tears to make electricity
- La collaboratrice d'un maire suspendue pour ses propos — Attaque de Marseille