The BFR (codename for Big F*****g Rocket) is the same one Musk plans to build for SpaceX's Mars missions. He said the rocket's maximum speed is 27,000 km (more than 16,000 miles) per hour. NY to Shanghai, for instance, would be a 39 minute trip, a fraction of the exhausting 15 hours it now takes via airplane. Now, this year Elon Musk proposed a revised plan for his ambitious but more reasonably sized rocket, which he calls BFR (Big Fxxking Rocket).
Specifically, Musk thinks his SpaceX rockets can be repurposed for terrestrial travel. If we can do that, then all the resources ... can be applied to this system. He claimed that the company's latest "interplanetary transport system", code named BFR or "Big Fucking Rocket", could make worldwide trips within 30 minutes and go anywhere on Earth in under an hour.
"If you build a ship that is capable of going to Mars, well what if you take that same ship and go from one place to another on Earth". That vessel now handles deliveries to the space station, while sending satellites into space for private customers.
Elon Musk's New SpaceX Plans To Get To Mars
Musk's Interplanetary Transport System (nicknamed BFR) that would be used to travel to Mars and the Moon, as well as travel a variety of routes across Earth for the same price as an economy airline ticket.
According to Musk the plan is to first bring travelers to sea-based rocket pads.
SpaceX has already revolutionised the space travel industry by building rockets that can be re-used - slashing construction costs. But that won't come until SpaceX has sent its manned missions to Mars and the deadline for that isn't until 2024.
Musk proposed an Interplanetary Transport System space vehicle that could theoretically take humans to the Red Planet in the future at the same forum previous year.
Boris Johnson warns Theresa May Brexit transition can not exceed two years
Lib Dem leader Sir Vince Cable said the foreign secretary's comments sent a signal to European Union negotiators that the "strings were being pulled by others".
- 'Big decisions' needed on rebuilding Puerto Rico, Donald Trump says
- Facebook sends help to Puerto Rico to get the island back online
- Department of Homeland Security to collect social media data on immigrants
- Two Calgary cops face ASIRT probe after shooting
- May admits Tories weren't ready for the snap election she called
- Were Analysts Bearish Keller Group plc (LON:KLR) This Week?
- Lawmakers call for swift, apolitical fix in Cuba attacks
- Clemson vs. Virginia Tech 2017
- Late Richarlison header earns Watford a point at West Brom
- World Series MVP award named for Willie Mays