He was taken home on Thursday, where he died on Friday night, news agency IANS reports.
He was born to American missionaries in 1950.
Indian veteran actor and theatre personality Tom Alter passed away at the age of 67 at his Mumbai residence, family members said Saturday. "We ask for their privacy to be respected at this time". In fact, it was Alter who had interviewed a 15-year-old Sachin Tendulkar in 1989 ahead of India's tour to West Indies when the selectors were considering the teenage prodigy. Alter was working as a teacher in a school in Jagadhri, Haryana, when he was bitten by the acting bug after watching Rajesh Khanna-Sharmila Tagore's "Aradhana".The actor soon joined Film and Television Institute of India in Pune, where he studied acting from 1972 to 1974 and graduated with a gold medal.
He has also written three books - one non-fiction and two fiction - and he ventures into direction too.
Tom Alter shared screen space with veteran actor Prem Chopra in the film titled Avinash, which also starred Mithun Chakraborty.
Watch The First Trailer For Peaky Blinders Season 4
The first trailer is a montage of the Shelby family, and glimpse of a new threat - portrayed by Oscar-winning actor Adrien Brody . The trailer opens with a close up side profile of Cillian Murphy as Tommy Shelby , before he is heard saying, "We're going back".
Alter's first release was Ramanand Sagar's "Charas" in 1976. Other notable directors he worked with during the 70s and 80s were V Shantaram, Hrishikesh Mukherjee, Manmohan Desai, Subhash Ghai, Chetan Anand - who gave him his first break in the Dev Anand-starrer Saheb Bahadur - and Vidhu Vinod Chopra, who gave him the pivotal role of the gangster Musa in the critically acclaimed hit Parinda.
Known for starring in television shows like "Bharat Ek Khoj", "Junoon", "Zabaan Sambhalke" and "Betaal Pachisi", Tom Alter was an American-origin actor settled in India.
He later acted in several foreign films too, notably Richard Attenborough's Gandhi and One Night with the King.
His last big screen appearance was in this year's Sargoshiyan, set in Kashmir and co-starring Alok Nath and Farida Jalal. People were often surprised by his Hindi and Urdu.
- Teen in 'Slenderman' stabbing will plead guilty, lawyer says
- Jim Carrey alleges extortion in ex-girlfriend's death lawsuit
- Chute des températures à partir de samedi — Météo
- L'opposant Navalny interpellé à Moscou
- Berlin considers Boeing fighters as firm's trade row with UK & Canada deepens
- La dernière image de Rosetta — Espace
- 2 injured in Osprey crash in Syria
- Cuomo: Troopers, Soldiers, Food, Supplies on Way to Puerto Rico
- How this weekend will determine the D-backs' NL Wild Card opponent
- Le premier musée dédié au créateur ouvre à Paris — Yves Saint Laurent