The commission said that it had set aside 500 million euros ($590m) to support the resettlement effort.
"Europe has to show that it is ready to share responsibility with third countries, notably in Africa", he added.
For the first time in the history of European migration policy, the Commission proposed moving 160 000 people who are clearly in need of global protection from Member States subject to exceptional pressure to other Member States of the European Union - a sign of a specific solidarity between EU Member States.
Recognising that people from non-European backgrounds living in Europe are much more likely to be unemployed or on low wages, the Commission has stressed that "integration measures" and "active participation and social inclusion" would be necessary for hosting the newcomers they allege to be essential for the continent's economies. "People who are in genuine need of protection should not risk their lives or depend on smugglers", Avramopoulos said.
Last year, the main beneficiaries of UNHCR-facilitated resettlement programmes were refugees from Syria, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iraq and Somalia.
A compulsory quota scheme to distribute 160,000 migrants within the European Union ended this week in failure and recriminations after just 29,000 migrants were relocated and the Commission promised legal action against Hungary and Poland for refusing to accept the quotas.
Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
C’est également le cas de l’attaquant de Liverpool Christian Benteke. C’est ce que vous découvrirez dans cet article.
The EU's previous resettlement scheme, adopted in July 2015, has resettled some 23,000 refugees among EU member states.
The commission also said it wants to ensure that those not permitted to stay in Europe are returned to their home countries more quickly.
Separately, the European Union also released plans on Wednesday to allow countries in the passport-free Schengen area to reintroduce border controls for security reasons for up to three years.
"Under today's proposals, member states will also be able to exceptionally prolong controls if the same threat persists", the commission said in a statement.
What's the EU's vision to address the migrant crisis?
- Les taxis-drones déjà en test à Dubai — Volocopter
- Fergie Shares Adorable Pic With Her 'Little Bodyguard' Son Axl
- Tim Allen: 'There's nothing more unsafe ... than a likeable conservative'
- West Indies batsman Evin Lewis retires hurt with record 176
- Un nouveau titre en Formule E — Renault
- Neymar va bientôt ouvrir une boîte de nuit
- Xbox Games with Gold October lineup includes Gone Home
- PlayStation Plus October 2017 Lineup Revealed, Features Metal Gear Solid V
- " "Le président turc craint une " guerre ethnique " — Référendum kurde
- Markets sink on fresh triggers, Sensex crashes 440 points