Reed died on September 15, with the Harris County medical examiner's office determining flood-related necrotizing fasciitis as the cause, The Houston Chronicle reported. County officials say Reed came in contact with the bacteria after falling in her home after the storm and cutting her arm, which became infected.
Following hurricanes that have hit the United States and surrounding islands, the CDC released a fact sheet on hurricane safety, warning: "Be careful with floodwater - it can contain risky bacteria".
The infection spreads quickly through muscle tissue and can cause organ failure.
Since 2010, 700 to 1,100 cases have been occurring in the United States each year, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Although flood waters in the Houston area have receded, officials say bacteria can remain present on surfaces exposed to contaminated water.
Les taxis-drones déjà en test à Dubai — Volocopter
Ce moyen de transport doit encore être peaufiné, pour une mise en service espérée dans les cinq prochaines années. La ville de Dubaï au Quatar a testé le transport de personnes dans un taxi-drone sans pilote.
But Reed wasn't able to catch her infection in time. She was later transferred to Houston-based Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, where she died of flood-related necrotizing fasciitis, according to the Harris County medical examiner's office.
"It's tragic", Dr. David Persse, Houston's chief of emergency medical services, said about Reed. "My heart goes out to the family".
Instead, surgery is required to rid the body of the infected tissue.
But the infection can spread past the phase where antibiotics make an impact.
There have been 75 reported deaths statewide in Texas from Hurricane Harvey's category 4 storm.
Police in Houston have released surveillance video of several people looting a beauty supply store in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. These floodwaters can house risky bacteria such as necrotizing fasciitis.
- Floyd family on mission trip dealing with aftermath of Hurricane Maria
- Spanish PM Rajoy meets Donald Trump in Washington days before illegal referendum
- Price Visited Family Members, Longtime Friends On Private Jet Trips
- Le témoignage choc de son dernier compagnon route — Jacques Chirac
- Russian Federation calls on USA to destroy chemical weapons
- Malayalam actor Dileep offered Rs30 million for abducting actress
- West Indies batsman Evin Lewis retires hurt with record 176
- TSX rises with banks; Bombardier falls after tariff hit
- Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor Fall Short Of PPV Record With 2017 Fight
- Kushner's New York Voter Registration Is 'Female'